1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

16" wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by satchsd, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Jan 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    satchsd

satchsd [OP] Old Guy Member

Member:
    keller texas
    new here and new to toyota i have 09 4x4 sport pkg with 17" rims was wondering if 16" rims will clear brake calipers looking at ivans or trd fj

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    GUNSLINGA

GUNSLINGA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SILVER TRD 4TIMES4
    TSB springs, trailer lights (new hole in bumper-great), custom tuned (dented) crossover pipe
    I have the 16" standard aluminums that come with the TRD (non-sport) package. I bought a set of last gen tacoma factory 16" alloys about a week ago to mount some 285/55 mudslingers on. They are the 5 spoke directional with the "hammered" finish that you see on last gen tacomas and tundras. I had faith they would work when I bought them, and they did. The opening for the hub is indentically sized, as is the backspacing and length of thread sticking out when placed on the hub. The clear the calipers the same amount as the new factory wheels, which is about 1/4 inch. I have read a bunch of stuff people have written on other forums about hub and lug centered blah blah blah. I wonder if they are aftermarket wheels folks are having problems with. Anyway, I now know for a fact the center hub opening from late 1st gens fit just as snug on the hub as the originals, and there are no issues (on that style anyway). They are not ivans or TRD FJs, but I hope that helps anyway.

3. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I don't know about other packages, but I'm pretttty sure that TRD Off Road trucks have 16" wheels. There are some 16 inch wheels that don't fit on 2nd gens I'm pretty sure though.

4. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    GUNSLINGA

GUNSLINGA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SILVER TRD 4TIMES4
    TSB springs, trailer lights (new hole in bumper-great), custom tuned (dented) crossover pipe
    I think the TRD sports come with the 17s but the non-sport TRDs wear 16s. Both of them look sweet, I think. Pittim, you might have the wheels I am talking about on your truck, if they are still factory.

5. Jan 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie

Yep, those wheels are the stock wheels.

6. Jan 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    GUNSLINGA

GUNSLINGA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SILVER TRD 4TIMES4
    That's them. These will fit the 2nd generations as well. I was lucky enough to get them off Craigslist for 200 bucks (I picked them up). Great looking truck ya got there! I'm out.

Products Discussed in

To Top