Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help on AT/MT purchase

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Help on AT/MT purchase

I have a tire picked out but figured I'd get some advice before I pull a $1000 trigger:

I want something aggressive but able to last 50k+ miles with good road manners. Most A/T's are a bit too reserved and the M/T's are too aggressive so Im looking for a hybrid.

So far, the best I found was the Dick Cepek Radial FC-II but I hear they dont ballance well/stay ballanced. Overall though, decent reviews. Anyone else know of a good AT/MT hybrid tire out there?

Also not sure about size:
285/75 r16 of 265/75 r16 ???
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Duratracs. Rated at 40K though.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
BFG MT KM2's, well over 50k miles on mine. The 'ratings' of tires from what I understand are a little reserved for our trucks because they are lighter than a full size application, thus less wear.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
You don't like BFG AT's? I don't think they look too reserved. I got 70k out of mine. Just hit 35k on my BFG MT's and I expect to get another 15k
Im running those now and love them but my truck is no longer the DD . I want something a bit more aggressive for offroad. My last venture offroad wasnt very fun slipping on wet rocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
BFG MT KM2's, well over 50k miles on mine. The 'ratings' of tires from what I understand are a little reserved for our trucks because they are lighter than a full size application, thus less wear.
Im giving them serious consideratoin... I wish they did a hybrid bt the A/T and M/T. I love BFG tires, great quality.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Cwpick76 is on a distinguished road

Army: IT
Name: CW
Cwpick76's Tacoma Gallery
toyo open country AT II -not the AT- are claiming 65k look pretty good.

-I have never used them- just saw them on their website
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Im running those now and love them but my truck is no longer the DD . I want something a bit more aggressive for offroad. My last venture offroad wasnt very fun slipping on wet rocks

Im giving them serious consideratoin... I wish they did a hybrid bt the A/T and M/T. I love BFG tires, great quality.

I think thats what they were trying to do with KM2's. Not positive but someone told me that
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Nitto Trail Grapplers- Not as aggressive as the Mud Terrain bit more gnarly than the Terra.
I'm wicked happy with mine...
Now these look very nice but very expensive ...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Wait for it...

Dam, Im still indecisive on this. Here are my options, anyone with experience please comment:

-BFG AT KO: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WLV2&tab=Sizes
Pros: Great on road manners and wear rate.
Cons: Not as aggressive as I would prefer.

-Dick Cepek Radial F-C II: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....2OWL&tab=Specs
Pros: More aggressive tread pattern with good on road manners
Cons: Reviews of poor customer service and manufacture defects. Unknown wear life.

-Nitto Trail Grapplers: http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/...hp?product=792
Pros: Very aggressive tread, good on road manners.
Cons: Price. New tire with unknown wear life, but probably less wear life than other competitors.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
DuraTrac
I didnt like their wear life. 45-50k miles is a bit too low, specially for the $$$, but they are still on my radar...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwpick76 View Post
toyo open country AT II -not the AT- are claiming 65k look pretty good.

-I have never used them- just saw them on their website
I have these. So far I'm happy with them. Only had them for 3k miles.

I have more pics in my gallery.
Also, another +1 for KM2s. I got like 50k out of mine on my old dodge diesel.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I have these. So far I'm happy with them. Only had them for 3k miles.

I have more pics in my gallery.
They look ok, but I would pick the BFG AT's over these tires (or pretty much any AT tire).
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They look ok, but I would pick the BFG AT's over these tires (or pretty much any AT tire).
FWIW, I had bfg ats on my dodge before the km2s. The only thing I liked about them was they smoked like crazy. I had cooper st's before them and they were ok. I like the look of the new cooper st maxx tires. They arent cheap though.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
look at treadwright guard dogs. they're mt's and im looking at getting them myself. you may not get 60-70k miles out of them but for half the cost of any mt really cant beat it. plenty of reviews on them and i (as well as others) have only found a handful of bad reviews which the problems had nothing to do with the retread itself. ask brutalguyracing, colinb17, and nfs257 (three members i know of that have them).
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
look at treadwright guard dogs. they're mt's and im looking at getting them myself. you may not get 60-70k miles out of them but for half the cost of any mt really cant beat it. plenty of reviews on them and i (as well as others) have only found a handful of bad reviews which the problems had nothing to do with the retread itself. ask brutalguyracing, colinb17, and nfs257 (three members i know of that have them).
Horry sheet! Those are some cheap tires! I think Im sold; Ill be able to get 5 .
Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Horry sheet! Those are some cheap tires! I think Im sold; Ill be able to get 5 .
Just to double check you know, they're retreads. But after member swearing by them over BFG and other well known tires, that sold me instantly.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
FWIW, I had bfg ats on my dodge before the km2s. The only thing I liked about them was they smoked like crazy. I had cooper st's before them and they were ok. I like the look of the new cooper st maxx tires. They arent cheap though.
I have the st maxx on my truck, great offroad tire IMO
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Did you look at the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's ?

they aren't considered a mud tire...
but rather a Multi-Traction tire.
Very nice tread design somewhere between an AT and MT

I paid $ 210.00 for 295/75/16 (each) on line with free shipping.
Got 'em thru Discount Tire dot com.

They're likely cheaper utilizing a smaller diameter tire.

here's a link with some pictures...

Products Discussed in this Thread