Notices

Tires and weight capacity

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
camper101 is on a distinguished road
camper101's Tacoma Gallery
Tires and weight capacity

Hi,

The more I've read about this in other postings the less I understand… so any input you have would be helpful

I'd like to make sure I'm safe with my new Tacoma. I'll be carrying a slide in camper (let's say it's a 600ish pound shell model), and I don't want to pop tires or or cause a fiery death for anybody including myself.

So, how much would it help to get LT or D/E rated tires? Does this make a substantial difference, or is the Tacoma's carrying capacity the main issue (like, am I just putting on stiff hiking boots to try and carry an elephant on my back)? At this point, getting a different truck is not on the table.

Here's what causes my concern: I know the Tacoma capacity is around 1300 lbs. Then the sticker on my truck says occupants and cargo should not exceed 1150. But that's also saying I'll use P-rated tires. So I'm wondering if D/E rated tires (or a higher load index) will substantially improve things, or if that's wishful thinking.

Currently I have what came on the truck: BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/70R16 111T.

I figure the camper's 600 lbs, I'm 180, the girlfriend might be with me, so that only leaves a few hundred pounds of cushion for gear/junk/etc. Remove the tailgate and subtract a few pounds...

I'm doing very little off-roading, and when I am on rugged terrain I'll drive VERY slowly, but I'm wondering (again…) if I just have to get tougher tires. Or maybe as long as I'm near the load limit I'm ok?

Thank you for reading.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
camper101 is on a distinguished road
camper101's Tacoma Gallery
Revised

OK, a shorter version of the question:

Do I get a substantial improvement in safety (and flats) if I go to D/E rated, or is that overkill for my needs?

Main concern is that I'll be at the weight limit on the Tacoma's sticker due to a slide-in camper etc.

Or, can I just drive really slow when on rugged terrain, and everything will be fine?

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The load limit on p-rated tires is higher than the curb weight of a fully-loaded and towing tacoma.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
hes right, my c-range nittos are really more than id need as far as weight rating