Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

powder coated wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
2012tacomatrd is on a distinguished road
2012tacomatrd's Tacoma Gallery
powder coated wheels

I just got my 2012 tacoma trd about 6 weeks ago and i want black rims but cant really afford it because well not much money what do yall think about powder coating
Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012tacomatrd View Post
I just got my 2012 tacoma trd about 6 weeks ago and i want black rims but cant really afford it because well not much money what do yall think about powder coating
close to or same price as buying new wheels...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard they're roughly $60 per wheel. Give or take for dismounting/mounting the tires.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
If you just want plain Black I'd Plasti-dip them. Total cost about $14 for 2 cans and the results are really good. Then if it comes time to sell the truck you can just peel off the coating and go back to stock. Plus no hassle of dismounting, waiting, and mounting your rims.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
plastidip is good i powdercoated my stocks at first and it was 50 a wheel
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you really dig the style of the the stock rims and want them to be black, I suggest you save some money and buy the wheels you want when you have enough.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^I agree save up and get some real wheels or don't get any at all. Black wheels are played out, plain and simple.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
^I agree save up and get some real wheels or don't get any at all. Black wheels are played out, plain and simple.
So are every other wheel that exists cuz millions of people have them lol.

ANYWAY

I love my powder coat gloss black x runner rims. They look sick. But in hawaii everyone charges double for everything. $100 per rim, that hurt but it looks good so whatever. Oh and watch out what you use to clean those things i had a bad experience with some permanent streaks from some turtle wax platinum cleaner. it is not safe for all finishes, those wh*res
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
So are every other wheel that exists cuz millions of people have them lol.

That's not true. I can assure you that not one other person on this forum has the wheels/color I have, nor have I ever seen them on any truck anywhere online or in person.

That being said, you do have a choice when it comes to wheels, you don't have to go with black. You can go polished, anodized, chrome, powder coated, machined, two-toned, painted. There are plenty of options to make your wheels unique.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
JWinTN is on a distinguished road
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking into powder coating wheels and came across some information that suggested the process weakens the alloy due to the prolonged exposure to heat. The thread I read was from 2010 and things might have changed since then, but it's something to look into anyway.

The thread is here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/w...pros-cons.html

It gets interesting when the user Tech1_Mike starts commenting. I don't know any more than what I read there, and, again, things might have changed since then, but you may want to research it further.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
I was looking into powder coating wheels and came across some information that suggested the process weakens the alloy due to the prolonged exposure to heat. The thread I read was from 2010 and things might have changed since then, but it's something to look into anyway.

The thread is here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/w...pros-cons.html

It gets interesting when the user Tech1_Mike starts commenting. I don't know any more than what I read there, and, again, things might have changed since then, but you may want to research it further.

When my wheels were powder coated they were done at a low heat and baked for 10 mins. Any reputable powder coater knows about prolonged heat exposure. Obviously anything exposed to high heat temperatures for a prolonged time, even steel; will eventually break down.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
JWinTN is on a distinguished road
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
When my wheels were powder coated they were done at a low heat and baked for 10 mins. Any reputable powder coater knows this. Obviously anything exposed to high heat temperatures for a prolonged time, even steel; will eventually break down.
Good to know. I was looking into it and ran across that info. It seems a good reason to seek out a known and reputable powder coater instead of shopping for lowest price, or to at least ask the shop to make sure they are familiar with coating alloy wheels.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
Good to know. I was looking into it and ran across that info. It seems a good reason to seek out a known and reputable powder coater instead of shopping for lowest price, or to at least ask the shop to make sure they are familiar with coating alloy wheels.

I couldn't have said it any better myself Sir!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
2012tacomatrd is on a distinguished road
2012tacomatrd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replys i beleive i might just go for buying new wheels I think it will be better in the long run