Notices

back spacing question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
bradicus8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
bradicus8's Tacoma Gallery
back spacing question

im not sure whether or not this would be considered and wheel question or suspension question but i posted in both categories lol:
if im going to run maxtrac spindles, what would i need for the back spacing of my wheels? i kno i cant use my stock sports wheels cuz they dont have enough? thanks guys
Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You want 4.5 Backspacing, but back spacing depends mostly on the tire's width. I.E if you want to run 285s, you would need to purchase wheels with a 4.5 backspacing to clear the UCA's. So, yes you want to buy 4.5 backspacing wheels... Or you can use the OEM wheels if you like the look and just run with Spidertrax wheel spacers.... But personally, I don't trust wheel spacers... Seeing one story of A set breaking scared me away from them.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
You want 4.5 Backspacing, but back spacing depends mostly on the tire's width. I.E if you want to run 285s, you would need to purchase wheels with a 4.5 backspacing to clear the UCA's. So, yes you want to buy 4.5 backspacing wheels... Or you can use the OEM wheels if you like the look and just run with Spidertrax wheel spacers.... But personally, I don't trust wheel spacers... Seeing one story of A set breaking scared me away from them.
awesome thanks a lot man! and shit i couldnt agree with you more about those spacers... tons of people run spacers on here but I personally heard a couple nasty stories and scared me too... i love the stock sport wheels but i think its best to stay clear of spacers.. any suggestions on some clean black wheels?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my suggestions are based solely on what I like.... KMC makes good wheels, I got a set of their XD line and I couldn't be any more happier. I also like Fuel wheels. What I did was looked at a bunch of wheels, narrowed down to the ones I liked, searched what wheels looked like on some of the trucks this site and based my decision off of that.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Quote:
Well, my suggestions are based solely on what I like.... KMC makes good wheels, I got a set of their XD line and I couldn't be any more happier. I also like Fuel wheels. What I did was looked at a bunch of wheels, narrowed down to the ones I liked, searched what wheels looked like on some of the trucks this site and based my decision off of that.
alrighty ima check those out, sweet truck btw man, im gonna get those HID's you got, those are sick
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man! Glad I could be of help... Let me know what you come up with
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Quote:
Thanks man! Glad I could be of help... Let me know what you come up with
yes sir!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
rather than start a new thread, i figured id keep from cluttering up tw and ask on here. i have a 3" lift on my taco... and im looking to eventually move from 365/70R16 to 285/75R16. I was looking at the mickey thompson classics and i didnt know what i needed for backspacing because i have no idea what the backspacing on the stock rims is. someone help me please!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing it was a typo when you said 365/70/16 (or you might hold the record for biggest tire on a 3" lifted Taco) and from what I've heard you want 4.5" BS to run 285s on a 2nd Gen (stock is 5.25"). Since you have a 1st Gen (stock is 4.5") you might need to go 4". I would check out 1st gen builds for guys running 285s & PM them to see what they have if it's not listed.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hah yeah def meant 265, and thanks! and just so im not mistaken, when you say 4" you mean 4" or smaller right?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, but I was just guessing check with someone running 285s on a 1st Gen. The smaller the BS the farther they stick out. I'm running 255/85/16s on 1st Gen TRDs (4.5" BS) which pushes them out .75" over stock (5.25" for me).
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #12

sweet! thanks man. ill do some research on other 1st gen builds. those mickey thompson classic rims have like a 3.6something backspacing so hopefully that alone would be enough. as far as the bumper though, id have no problem clearing that right? i dont know if thats another thing people have run into
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman

I don't know about the bumper but pushing them out too far can cause problems.