Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler SL

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler SL

Anyone run these? Im considering it but not sure if I will want a C/D rated tire instead. Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
as anyone will ask, what do you use your truck for?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
as anyone will ask, what do you use your truck for?
True, I didnt say that. I dont offroad serious and when I do its maybe 4-5 times a year. I daily drive the truck and tow a 1500lbs tent trailer a few times a year
Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My first real offroad trip with my terra grapplers (other than powerline roads here and there) I got a huge puncture in my sidewall. I've since switched to Mickey Thompson.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
My first real offroad trip with my terra grapplers (other than powerline roads here and there) I got a huge puncture in my sidewall. I've since switched to Mickey Thompson.
define real off road trip though? I call off road ripping through a dirt lot on the side of the road where a building will be build someday
Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

haha 3 days in the mojave national preserve. 300 miles of offroading in a weekend. If you are just blazing thru a dirt lot they will be fine...
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #8

I Cant speak from experience, I never towed anything with my nittos so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
loknload will become famous soon enough

loknload's Tacoma Gallery
I just put on a set of the Good Year Duratracs in 285-70/17 and they are a D load range tire. I tow a 24 foot travel trailer that is 5400 pounds loaded and has 600 pounds tongue weight. I'm not too worried about it, although, I do use a good weight distributing hitch. I can't tell much difference in the harshness of the ride compared to the E load range Toyo Open Country M/T's that were on it but the Duratracs sure ride a whole lot smoother than the Toyos.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDPrerunner View Post
I had 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers on my 08 Trd Sport. Worst mistake of my life. They lasted 20,000 miles and they were completely slick
Oh god
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #13

Yup mine wore down extremely fast as well and in the rain they became slicks. Some people get a good set that dont wear as fast but there are too many stories of them wearing down way too fast