Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What looks meatier in a 265? GY or BFG?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
What looks meatier in a 265? GY or BFG?

So, I know there are probably thousands of tire pictures on this site, but in your opinion - Which tire looks meatier in a 265/75/16 - BFG All Terrains or Good Year Duratracs?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would vote Duratracs.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool. I was thinking duratracs, as people running them say they do well in rain and snow, but I haven't seen them in person. Plenty of BFG's around here.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
The Duratracs look meatier, I don't think that's a surprise to anyone.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
The Duratracs look meatier, I don't think that's a surprise to anyone.
Really? I might have to try some out but whenever I see them my BFs look better IMO
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Really? I might have to try some out but whenever I see them my BFs look better IMO
I used to be a bfg only guy but my new tires for this winter are Duratracs. except235/85/16
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are my Duratracs I had on the truck, 265/75/16. Stock Height.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Here are my Duratracs I had on the truck, 265/75/16. Stock Height.

Oh my god they look massive for 265
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #13

^ Lol yes they do... you asked which one was meatier.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #14

Yeah, I would have thought they were 285's.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
DuraTrac. Looks better in person than pic.
I finally saw some 285 duratracs in person on a 4runner a few days ago. They looked like they wanted to eat me. I imagine the 265 looks similar.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of BFG KO and GY DT on both my T4Rs and I feel the Duratracs look way beefier and more aggressive.

There is also a HUGE difference in road noise. The BFG offers pure silence while the GY has a bit of road noise possibly due to its aggressive pattern for better handling in rain and snow. Road noise may not be a bother to some but I just wanted to throw it in there for those who are shopping for new shoes.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
I have a set of BFG KO and GY DT on both my T4Rs and I feel the Duratracs look way beefier and more aggressive.

There is also a HUGE difference in road noise. The BFG offers pure silence while the GY has a bit of road noise possibly due to its aggressive pattern for better handling in rain and snow. Road noise may not be a bother to some but I just wanted to throw it in there for those who are shopping for new shoes.

This a pretty fair comparison. Also the Duratracs are snow rated which is a HUGE plus. It doesn't snow much here in central Texas, but about 2 years ago we had a freak snow storm and these Duratracs performed GREAT.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
I'll also add, my BFG KOs do not wear down as fast as my GY DTs. The DT's have a softer rubber texture and the overall on-road handling is superior than the BFGs. The BFGs you will pay a premium and are a little heavier unlike the DTs -cheaper and light weight-. The BFGs I feel are a bit more solid and durable meaning a little harder on the suspension. the BFG and GY tires I run are both 265/75/16.

Here's a pic of a fresh batch of Duratracs. So much drool runnin from my mouth the salesman didn't have to say a word.

Here is a shot of my 3rd gen T4R right before I tested the DTs out on the snow for the first time...they do an AMAZING job eating and spitting out snow! GY markets the DTs as having some sort of self cleaning technology and I'm a believer:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #19

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Stock T4R 5 star wheel (tires are the crappy plain costco michelins):

Duratracs on the T4R 5 star wheel ("beast mode") :
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
WillisRanches is on a distinguished road
WillisRanches's Tacoma Gallery
The Duratracks look meatier but considering that Duratracks are more of a Mud Terrian Tire more than All Terrian they should look meatier. Which one would I rather have? BFG All Terrians. I have had 3 different sets on 3 rigs never let me down in rain, snow, ice and mud. Duratracks wear quicker than BFGs.