Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Will 285s fit with this lift?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Will 285s fit with this lift?

I know it's been asked many times, but I have a toytec suspenison lift set at 2.5" in front and 2" AAL in the rear. I just want to fill my rear well a little more because it makes the rear wheel and tire look small, but at the same time, I wonder if going to 285s will look too big for the front wells. Should I stay with these 265/75/16s or go with 285s? And will it effect my gas mileage much? These tires are maxxis bighorn tires and I'm planning on going the duratracs route for my next set. So it would be going from MT to AT. Here is a pic of my truck from the side:

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
They'll fit with trimming and wheel spacers or correctly backspaced wheels
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
you will notice the difference in gas mileage just with a wider tire, what you could do it is go up to a bigger diameter tire like a 265/75 or 265/80 or something like that but personally i dont think they look small at all
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered 265/75/16s?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
they will fit with some trimming...i have 5100's and 885s in the front and 5100s and a wheelers 1.5 AAL in the rear. I trimmed up the front and rub occassionaly when wheeling and flexing it.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
you will notice the difference in gas mileage just with a wider tire, what you could do it is go up to a bigger diameter tire like a 265/75 or 265/80 or something like that but personally i dont think they look small at all
I agree with EasyE. I would go with 265/75s. I have 285/75/16s and my gas mileage decreased about 2-3 miles per gallon. I had already figured this in, so I am fine with it. Your gas mileage won't be affected that much with 265/75s and it will give you close to an inch taller tire. As for the Duratracs, I would read other threads on here about that tire. Some like and alot of others don't.

Main thing is that you are happy with your truck and will it fit your needs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well the size looks fine in person, but in picture, they look small. Do you all think it looks fine? I just don't want to trim a lot if I got 285s.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Well the size looks fine in person, but in picture, they look small. Do you all think it looks fine? I just don't want to trim a lot if I got 285s.
Looks fine to me. I run the same size tires with the same amount of lift as you.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
selftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
selftaughtguru's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm running 285/70r17 with a 3" pro comp lift and I am getting some rubbing. It's only at/near full lock that the tire hits the upper control arm. planning some new UCA and possibly wheels to rectify the problem. it looks good though.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about 265/85? I might go 265/80. Do they make 85s?
265/80/16 and 265/85/16 are not available to my knowledge , but would be nice.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about 265/85? I might go 265/80. Do they make 85s?
No such thing as either of those. Your options are as follows:

285/75/16
265/75/16
255/85/16
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
wdenis123 is on a distinguished road
Name: wd40hotrod@aol.com
wdenis123's Tacoma Gallery
Why oh why do automobile makers insist in designing cars with square or squared off fenders ,like the early Chevy avalanche and our tacomas ? Imagine how nice life would be with NORMAL proportionate wheel wells! I'd be a better lookin truck for sure
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
OZ-T is right, speaking from the research i've done on this... if you try 285's you'll need wheel spacers, or wheels with negative offset with a maximum offset of 0, and even at 0 you might rub the UCAs with Duratrac's due to their sidewall tread pattern. You'll safe from rubbing UCAs with -12mm offset wheels though. But most likely, you'll be trimming some plastic elsewhere.

It'd be a huge help if you knew your current wheels width and backspacing.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
with OME Lift, spider trax wheel spacers on stock TRD rims, and 285s, i had to cut the lower portion of the fender flare, will need to trim body mount, and the black plastic inner liner.

also need to get the truck aligned again which could pull the tires forward some
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
with OME Lift, spider trax wheel spacers on stock TRD rims, and 285s, i had to cut the lower portion of the fender flare, will need to trim body mount, and the black plastic inner liner.

also need to get the truck aligned again which could pull the tires forward some
He's got it right.

1.25" spider trax on stock TRD rims effectively results in rims with 0mm offset, which coincides with my post above.

The comment about the alignment is also spot on, I had to remove my front mudflaps after my lift/alignment with caster of 1.7 and 2.1.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
I had to cut a lot for my 285 75/16 Goodyear MTR's. By cut I mean, trim fender and fender flare, trimmed wheel well cover in front of the tire. Also did a cab mount chop. My tires are almost an 1.5 inches away from the UCA.

I like the no fender flares tho, its just a different look I guess....

Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
TIRES

I think your 265s look fine but Iknow your tempted to go to 285s they would great but you would around 3 miles to the gallon and probably a little handling to at least I did
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly taco View Post
I think your 265s look fine but Iknow your tempted to go to 285s they would great but you would around 3 miles to the gallon and probably a little handling to at least I did
Yeah. I'm probably staying with this size.