Notices

Need tires for winter, narrowed down to three

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
greyeyezz is on a distinguished road
greyeyezz's Tacoma Gallery
Need tires for winter, narrowed down to three

265/65-17 Highway All-Season

90% is pavement/highway driving. I do have property in W PA that I visit maybe 5X a year so traction on hilly terrain is beneficial but not mandatory.

BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A
General Grabber HTS
BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

I'm thinking the BFG RTerrains will be too loud and not really needed.
Michelins are way too much coin.
I'm going by this list/ http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS

Anything in the top 15 will be considered.

Input will help me decide my purchase, my Dunlop AT20's are awfull.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
nfowler is on a distinguished road
nfowler's Tacoma Gallery
I just traded my near new Dunlop AT-20s in on a set of P245-75-16 Michelin LTX MS2 and have high hopes for decent snow performance this winter. I got them mounted and balanced for less than the Tirerack price for just the tire, without shipping. Shop around. Club stores like Sam's sell the same tire under the name X Michelin LT, same tread, same specs.

N. Fowler
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The Michelins are worth every penny.

I only have experience with the Long Trails. They were not too bad in the snow and ice. But they're not a dedicated snow tire.

Have you looked at the Goodyear Silent Armors? Snowflake mountain rated.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A co-worker has the Grabber HT-S and really likes them. He's got 2 winters on them so far and seems to go fine in the snow.

The Pirelli Scorpions seem to do really well in the snow. Lots of my co-workers have them and have nothing but good things to say about them.

The Rugged Terrains might be more than you need most of the year but if you're going to be in the mountains of PA during heavy snow fall then I think I'd rather have the overkill tires. If you have some flexibility and can wait until roads are cleared before heading into the mountains, then the all-season tires will be fine.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Silent Armors

or since you do a lot of highway/pavement why not Hankook Dynapro ATM

Both are polite on road and do well in snow/off-road.