Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Rotation/TPMS

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rotation/TPMS

This is my first vehicle with the TPMS. These may be dumb questions but I am going to ask anyways. I am long overdue for a tire rotation.

Is there anything additional that I need to know/do with the TPMS when rotating the tires?

Is the front-back tire rotation pattern sufficent for our trucks? That is what the Owner's Manual suggested. I just wnated to make sure.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
No additional action needed. Front-back rotation is fine. The Tacoma's front and rear tire pressures are close enough that you typically don't need to reset the TPMS system.

Some of the fancier cars show numerical tire pressure in the trip computer and distinguish each tire's location on the car (front left, front right, etc.). For those cars, if the owner is anal about it, after tire rotation, the TPMS computer should be reprogrammed to register each tire's new position. The Tacoma just shows an idiot light on the dash when one of the tires is low, so it doens't really matter where the tire is.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
whammond is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Will
whammond's Tacoma Gallery
For rotations, front to back is usually the best option for mid size trucks. A good tire shop will also rebalance the two tires being reinstalled on the front of the truck.

Also, from working at a tire store, lots of tire techs are quick to top the air pressure off at 35 psi, when manufacturer actually recommends 28 psi for 2nd Gen Tacomas (correct me if I am wrong).

As far as TPMS goes, if you check out the owners manual, I believe it states how to reset the sensors after rotations with the little button on the dash under the steering wheel

Oh yeah! The idiot light will also go on if the damn spare is low!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you are running OEM tires, go by the sticker on the doorsill. That sticker is specific to each vehicle trim level. My TRD Off Road sticker says 32 psi for its BFG Rugged Trail tires. Non-TRD trucks with Dunlops may want lower pressure.

Toyota stopped putting TPMS sensors in the spare starting in 2008. Hey, deleting $30 sensor per vehicle x 120,000 Tacomas a year = extra $3.6 million in Toyota's pocket per year.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thank you soo much guys!
+1
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If you are running OEM tires, go by the sticker on the doorsill. That sticker is specific to each vehicle trim level. My TRD Off Road sticker says 32 psi for its BFG Rugged Trail tires. Non-TRD trucks with Dunlops may want lower pressure.

Toyota stopped putting TPMS sensors in the spare starting in 2008. Hey, deleting $30 sensor per vehicle x 120,000 Tacomas a year = extra $3.6 million in Toyota's pocket per year.
My 2008 does have the sensor in the spare.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
My 2008 does have the sensor in the spare.
I may be off by a year. The spare sensor may have been deleted in 2009, coinciding with a bunch of other small changes (VSC, LED tail lights, A-Trac for TRD, etc.)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
D44boy is on a distinguished road
D44boy's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS sensors can be anywhere on/near the truck. I have all 4 of mine in a tube in the pocket in the bed, and the light stays off.