Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Good read on the 'narrow vs wide' argument

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
with the exception of deep, soft sand or mud.

Well then remind me to NOT buy a narrow tire lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
I read the title and thought that this was going to be some Jesus this about the narrow verse the wide road or however it goes.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
classic argument: i think its all situational, tall and skinny for trails and rocks, wider for terrain where you need maximum surface area, 285 BFG AT KO suit me just fine
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
I read the title and thought that this was going to be some Jesus this about the narrow verse the wide road or however it goes.
You talking about this? Matthew 7:13?
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #25
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
You talking about this? Matthew 7:13?
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Lol
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't know they got all of those variable conditions in 'south new jersey'

At least, that's my best guess as to what 'S.N.J.' Is
You are correct. SNJ is all marsh and sand. It was once the ocean floor so you can dig a hole just about anywhere near me and find a old sea shell or water if you dig deep enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
Seems reasonable if you read the article -- you'll get a LONGER contact patch, which in an offroad application works better. Except maybe in deep mud, sand or snow.
Never had an issue in any of them with a skinny tire. The only wheeling I have not done with a skinny is snow 2' + deep.

Last weekend I got stuck once again in soft sand because of lack of clearance. Had nothing to do with lack of "floatation" as others will argue.

sand so deep and soft it washes away and creates valleys
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Lol
Oh yeah, no, it's not that.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
someone let me know when the make a 35 or 37 less than 12"s wide
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You are correct. SNJ is all marsh and sand. It was once the ocean floor so you can dig a hole just about anywhere near me and find a old sea shell or water if you dig deep enough.

Never had an issue in any of them with a skinny tire. The only wheeling I have not done with a skinny is snow 2' + deep.

Last weekend I got stuck once again in soft sand because of lack of clearance. Had nothing to do with lack of "floatation" as others will argue.

sand so deep and soft it washes away and creates valleys
Looks like lack of speed to me. If you hit that at around 30, the center never would have touched the sand
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
lots of 35x10.50 tires out there, 33x10.50, 255/80r17's
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Old news bud. n0rth runs tsl's in 35x10 or something similar. Tall and skinny
i guess i should have said easily accessible and affordable
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
I see you standing over there, lookin all corrected an stuff
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I see you standing over there, lookin all corrected an stuff
someone show me a link of such a tire... preferably in 17 which i bet you wont find but ill look at 16" options
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
35's and 37's I wouldn't consider affordable no matter the width
less than 350 a tire and be able to do 40k
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #36
Purveyor of Fun

There sure are a lot of stipulations in your argument haha. I just put this up because I found it helpful when deciding what to buy. I don't have a need for a 37 inch tire. I don't know of many people who 'need' that much rubber.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #37
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There sure are a lot of stipulations in your argument haha. I just put this up because I found it helpful when deciding what to buy. I don't have a need for a 37 inch tire. I don't know of many people who 'need' that much rubber.
im just saying there are very few options for any skinny tires... it just happens most people want 33"s and the 255 fits that bill and are widely available. I would rock a set of skinnys if available for the clearance i want. i was hoping someone knew of a tire that would fit my bill
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
im just saying there are very few options for any skinny tires... it just happens most people want 33"s and the 255 fits that bill and are widely available. I would rock a set of skinnys if available for the clearance i want. i was hoping someone knew of a tire that would fit my bill
Agreed, but maybe if more people read this and inform themselves on the advantages over the big fatty tires someone might make more options. Just saying.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #39
Purveyor of Fun

It should be noted that Discount Tire cannot beat the amazon prime price on 255/85/16's at 219 with free shipping per tire. The guy was actually really surprised at how cheap they were.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It should be noted that Discount Tire cannot beat the amazon prime price on 255/85/16's at 219 with free shipping per tire. The guy was actually really surprised at how cheap they were.