Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Good read on the 'narrow vs wide' argument

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
if i didn't live in florida most of the year, i'd deffinately consider a narrower tire. we have to have them down here because of the sugar sand. some trails go on for miles with sand that you will sink to your knee in if you step out of the truck. the difference in skinny and wide tires here is very noticable with skinnys being at a dissadvantage. one of the few scenarios where this is the case though.

However, you do have to realize that in the grand scheme of things, a 285 (average for people on this site) is still fairly narrow.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
It should be noted that Discount Tire cannot beat the amazon prime price on 255/85/16's at 219 with free shipping per tire. The guy was actually really surprised at how cheap they were.

dealer cost in the NE for a km2 is $180.00 so you can talk them down much further....

luckily I know a member who knows a guy so we gave him $10 per tire for doing the deal and me and a buddy grabbed 10 of them for $1,900.00 cash. dealer made $100 and we saved a ton.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
dealer cost in the NE for a km2 is $180.00 so you can talk them down much further....

luckily I know a member who knows a guy so we gave him $10 per tire for doing the deal and me and a buddy grabbed 10 of them for $1,900.00 cash. dealer made $100 and we saved a ton.
Cool Story Bro
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #44
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

soooooooo can I have 5?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
This will be great for when I have to work tomorrow. +1
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I stuck with 265 rather than 285 .
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #47
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

But your truck is in the sand! Don't you NEED those wide tires for flotation?!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #48
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
I found those narrow tires you ordered.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
Purveyor of Fun

Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #50
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Just some more info to add to this.

The reason tire manufactures here (US) do not make 35 10s is due to sidewall buckle.

At speed during a turn a narrow tall tire has a higher likelihood of the side wall folding causing roll overs.

This is why most 35's are 12.5
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #51
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Greater Section width for flotation: A typical 33x12.5 all terrain tire will perform better on soft surfaces like deep mud, snow and sand than its metric equivalent (285/75 R16 or 33x11.2) as the weight of the vehicle is spread out over a larger surface area. The wider tread creates less stress to the surface tension of the strata of sand (as expressed in kN/m2) and the vehicle will not sink as easily.
Cool......guess I picked the best size tire for the conditions I deal with here in the deep South (deep red clay & mud). But then again.....I already knew this.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #52
Purveyor of Fun

Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #53
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I like them skinny
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for some intense reading later....
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #55
jpop8807 is on a distinguished road
Army: Bradley Crew, 1st Cav
Name: Josh
jpop8807's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely a good read. So for most just trail/exploration types like me at the moment a 255 would be good. But if later on in life I was intrigued by the LT prerunner setups I should look more into the 285s?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #56
Purveyor of Fun

Depends on your terrain? Do you need to float or do you need to bite?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #57
jpop8807 is on a distinguished road
Army: Bradley Crew, 1st Cav
Name: Josh
jpop8807's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends on your terrain? Do you need to float or do you need to bite?
I guess bite. As of now the terrain I go thru looks like this

That pretty much sums up the Fort Hood areas. Mostly dirt and some rocky areas. We haven't had rain yet so I'm not sure what this area is like with wetness.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #58
Purveyor of Fun

It looks like you'd benefit from a smaller more aggressive contact patch, if that were my terrain I'd be going tall skinny.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #59
Mudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lefty
Mudfinger's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of good reasons to use wide tires, but for my purposes, it appears that narrower is better. Who knew?

Very useful post to me, because I was wobbling between 33X12.5 and 33x105. Now my mind's made up.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #60
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Love my pizza cutters. Glad I made the switch, less rubbing, looks awesome and performs even better.