Notices

Tire and Lift Questions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Texantaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Texantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tire and Lift Questions

So heres the low down. I'm looking for new tires and I want something thats good both off-road and on pavement. However, I am a college student so money isn't exactly something I have copious amounts of.

I am looking at Pro comp Xtreme All Terrains, Toyo M/Ts, and Nitto M/Ts in 285/75/16. Any other suggestions that are cheaper?

Currently, I have Bilstein 5100's on my truck and I am aware that I will need more lift and possibly spacers so the tires don't rub. Should I also look into 885 coils?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know where to start.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
brianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianpdx's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't cheap out on the tires. Especially if you're a college student on a budget. If you're already on 5100s, why not stick with a more standard width tire? 285s are going to equate to some moderate trimming from what I understand, and you're probably going to have to consider some new components like you've identified.

I recommend staying in the 265mm width range and buy a reputable, proven brand like BFG or Goodyear.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Mud Terrains aren't for both off road AND pavement. Look into some All Terrains. BFG AT is popular, Hankook Dynapro ATM is also, AT2s, Silent Armors, LTXs, etc etc. The list goes on. Just letting you know if you want pavement performance as well as off road the compromise area between the two is an AT. There are a thousand threads on here about different ones. Just do your research before you buy and by the time you're done you'll have enough money saved for them too cheers
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
If you are on a budget then skip on the M/Ts. Better go with A/Ts.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Mud Terrains aren't for both off road AND pavement.
Really? Because I have 45K miles on my Goodyear MTR's with about 30% tread remaining.
They are a little more noisy than a street tire but it's a truck and IDC.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Texantaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Texantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Im currently looking into General Grappler AT2s. I think they're the best buy right now. I'll post some pics when I get them on.

Thanks again!