Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Different Size Wheel / Tire for Spare Tire

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Different Size Wheel / Tire for Spare Tire

Hi all, I managed to salvage a spare tire from a car we cut up for the fire department. It is a Sport King Steel Radial A/T, and it looks like a pretty decent tire, along with good reviews I've found online. I just noticed today that it is a 31x10.5x15 tire. I know that spares should be the same circumference as your regular tire, but I figured that if I am only using this spare less than 50 miles to just get home if I blow a tire, it would be ok (Since I have 265/75/16 KM2's). My only question: If I ever have to use it, is it bad to have a different size wheel than your other 3 tires? My research about this issue has only yielded questions about different size tires, not wheels, so I need some more help. I have 16'' TX Pro wheels by the way.

Any help would be appreciated,
Matt
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Hi all, I managed to salvage a spare tire from a car we cut up for the fire department. It is a Sport King Steel Radial A/T, and it looks like a pretty decent tire, along with good reviews I've found online. I just noticed today that it is a 31x10.5x15 tire. I know that spares should be the same circumference as your regular tire, but I figured that if I am only using this spare less than 50 miles to just get home if I blow a tire, it would be ok (Since I have 265/75/16 KM2's). My only question: If I ever have to use it, is it bad to have a different size wheel than your other 3 tires? My research about this issue has only yielded questions about different size tires, not wheels, so I need some more help. I have 16'' TX Pro wheels by the way.

Any help would be appreciated,
Matt
I don't think that 15" wheel will fit over your calipers. I would test fit it.

That being said, It doesn't matter if the wheel size is different than your other 4 wheels, as long as the diameter of the tire is roughly the same.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
many vehicles have an emergency spare tire which is smaller than the factory ones
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I don't think that 15" wheel will fit over your calipers. I would test fit it.

That being said, It doesn't matter if the wheel size is different than your other 4 wheels, as long as the diameter of the tire is roughly the same.
This ^^^^^ 15" wheels won't fit a six lug 2nd gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
many vehicles have an emergency spare tire which is smaller than the factory ones
Skinnier, but the same diameter as the stock wheels.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
15" wheels won't fit a six lug 2nd gen.
Ok this is the answer I was looking for. Guess I'll try and sell this thing or something since I fixed it up and the tread is brand new. Thanks for the help fellas.

Matt