Tire Rot?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
mojoe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
mojoe's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rot?

Good Morning!

I've recently became a proud owner of Tacoma Prerunner! Because I'm a noob when it comes to cars and Trucks, I grew up in NYC, I took the truck to a trusted mechanic in Tempe to do a buyer's inspection. The Truck is in great condition and I got a fairly good deal. The problem is the mechanic told me I had dry rot on the tire.

Well naturally I took it back to the dealership and he gave me a bunch of blah blah blah tire pressure blah blah blah. I took his word for it that rot wasn't the issue, mainly because it's a large dealership here in the area and I kinda figured they wouldn't want to jeopardize their reputation.....right?

I've done some research on tire rot and seen some really nasty pics. The tires I have on there are no where near what I've seen and people were still saying, "it's cool to drive, around town NOT highway"

I've got a trip coming up where I'm going to be heading up to Lake Powel, 5 hours away and I want to make sure the tires are in good condition to make the trip. Please have a look and let me know what you think. Thank you

FYI - The tire code puts them somewhere april 2010. Tire Brand is BFG All-Terrain T/A LT285/7-R17(121/118r) The tire shown is the back left one. I can take a photo of each one if necessary. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Rot?-tacoma-tire2.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The tire looks fine IMO. They are worn from normal use and look a little dirty but I would not say rotted.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Is that dark vertical line a rubber fin sticking up or a gouge into the tire (hard to tell in the pic). If it's a rubber fin, the tires look fine. Is there a lot of cracking within the tread pattern itself?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Looks like rubber sticking out to me. It always happens during the tire making process. The pic could be misleading though.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Looks like rubber sticking out to me. It always happens during the tire making process. The pic could be misleading though.
Ya that looks like a seam. Op is that just a flap of rubber? If it is, your tires are totally fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
mojoe's Tacoma Gallery
@whippersnapper02
Thank you for taking a look.

@Pugga
The dark vertical line is just a rubber fin. There is no cracking within the tread...see pic below.

@07TacoRidah
Doesn't look normal

The attached pic is now the front right tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Rot?-tacome-front-tire.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
@whippersnapper02
Thank you for taking a look.

@Pugga
The dark vertical line is just a rubber fin. There is no cracking within the tread...see pic below.

@07TacoRidah
Doesn't look normal

The attached pic is now the front right tire.
That looks fine but you need to look around where the wheel meets the tire and in between the tread.

This is dry rot..

Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
yes OP as others have said your ok.

your tire looks like it has very early signs of dry rot but looks normal for a tire with that much wear thats in arizona.

nothing to be worried about the tread will probably wear out before dry rot is an issue
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
mojoe's Tacoma Gallery
You guys ROCK!!! You've really helped ease my mind. I was really stressing big time that something may happen 300 miles away from HQ. I really appreciate everyone that took the time to take a look. Thanks a million!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
You guys ROCK!!! You've really helped ease my mind. I was really stressing big time that something may happen 300 miles away from HQ. I really appreciate everyone that took the time to take a look. Thanks a million!!!

yea in my years of working highway ive only picked up one bfg all terrain carcass off the road and it was the old style before they changed the side lugs of the tread to the current side lugs

very rare to see a bfg at blow out on the road.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #12

also dress your tires with some uv protectant
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Look fine to me, from what I have read tires have about a 6-year shelf life. My wife doesn't drive a lot and hers rot before they wear out. The 6-year rule was spot on for her last set.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...The pic could be misleading though.
after looking at the picture more it was misleading. It looked as if there was a deep gash in the tire, but it was due to the angle. but yeah that's normal. it will come off with time.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
after looking at the picture more it was misleading. It looked as if there was a deep gash in the tire, but it was due to the angle. but yeah that's normal. it will come off with time.
Or you can but that wouldn't clean the sidewall...do it anyway!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Tires look fine to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Looks perfectly normal to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Or you can but that wouldn't clean the sidewall...do it anyway!
some nice OR would sure as hell give it something to think about >
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Dra6ula is on a distinguished road
Dra6ula's Tacoma Gallery
Those don't look bad at all. Tires in Az. do seem to dry rot fast but yours are not very old. My tires are almost eight years old and have 50k miles on them ... they are looking bad def. time to replace. Gotta save up some money though. Anyone know where I can get some 285/50/20 Toyo's for a really good price in Az.