bigger tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
TacomaHog is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Sqd LDR 3rd Plt, Bco 1-32 IN
Name: Tom
TacomaHog's Tacoma Gallery
bigger tires

i just recently purchased 35 in dick cepek crushers but only have a 3in lift. will i be able to use these tires with out running into any problems. and if so what could i do to get around this without going with a larger lift?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Your going to have to do some major trimming and cutting to fit 35"s on a 3" lift. Even with a 6" lift you have to do some moderate trimming.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

ok cool. i have no problem trimming. are there any stickies with the diy instructions on trimming?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHog View Post
ok cool. i have no problem trimming. are there any stickies with the diy instructions on trimming?
Not sure. Try doing a search on here but I believe you have to do a cab mount chop which gets pretty technical if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Not sure. Try doing a search on here but I believe you have to do a cab mount chop which gets pretty technical if I'm not mistaken.
yep you will have to do it, i think most do it even with 33s also i think you have to bend some of the inner fender, but im 100% not sure on that.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to trim for 35's is to take your coil over out and cycle the suspension and cut everything out that the tire touches. Go ahead and remove the fender liners, beat back the pinch welds, and chop the cab mounts as there's no way you're going to get around doing those. As far as I know, there is not a "cut on the dotted line" template to tell you where to cut.

EDIT:

Also, what kind of wheels are you running? If you don't have the right backspacing, you'll need some spacers to keep the tire from rubbing your UCA and framerail.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
The best way to trim for 35's is to take your coil over out and cycle the suspension and cut everything out that the tire touches. Go ahead and remove the fender liners, beat back the pinch welds, and chop the cab mounts as there's no way you're going to get around doing those. As far as I know, there is not a "cut on the dotted line" template to tell you where to cut.

EDIT:

Also, what kind of wheels are you running? If you don't have the right backspacing, you'll need some spacers to keep the tire from rubbing your UCA and framerail.
i dont have the wheels yet. but i will be making sure i have the proper backspacing. and thanks for the info its helpfull and much appreciated
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The only 2nd gens I've seen running 35s on 3" of lift have an aftermarket front bumper, and have had to cut their fenders. Not the fender lining, the actual metal fender.

RelentlessTaco and jhodge83 come to mind
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The only 2nd gens I've seen running 35s on 3" of lift have an aftermarket front bumper, and have had to cut their fenders. Not the fender lining, the actual metal fender.

RelentlessTaco and jhodge83 come to mind
There's also a couple of us who just installed a 1" body lift. The only metal I trimmed to clear 35s was near the firewall and it wasn't that much. I didn' even remove the fender flares. In order to beat back the pinch weld, you have to remove the fender liner as it covering the pinch weld. You may be able to just cut it and only remove the liner near the firewall, but I took mine out since it was really flimsy plastic and wouldn't be supported anymore. I didn't want it flopping around and getting ripped out by the tires.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #10

alright thanks for the input. im going to have some time cuz it is winter now and i am not going to be spending anymore time outside than i need to. northern new york SUCKS.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHog View Post
alright thanks for the input. im going to have some time cuz it is winter now and i am not going to be spending anymore time outside than i need to. northern new york SUCKS.
i trade you? lol. i LOVE western NY winters! i just love winter all together!