1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG Mud Terrains On Road

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by aphex, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    aphex

aphex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
    I just like the look of them and would only really go offroad when hunting at times or on light trails / dirt roads. Snow travel is also important. But if I get the mud terrains will I regret it due to on road noise or anything else?

2. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    I would say they are not the most practical tire for your needs. While I have never run them, common sense tells me they will perform poorly in snowy/ slippery conditions and be noisier than an A/T when on the pavement.
    I agree though, they do look meaner.

3. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mud tires in general are not a great selection if snow/ice performance, and on road noise level are priorities of yours.

4. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    M/T are not that good for snow. If you are going to be on the road a majority of the time you wont get many miles out of them either and every vehicle that has had a M/T that i have ridden in is very loud and noisy on the road.

5. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    aphex

aphex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
    I wouldn't say road noise or snow are priorities... just variables in the equation. I don't really have a feel for how overbearing or annoying mud tires can sound on the road - never had them. And are we saying that these tires would actually be a downgrade from my rugged fails on snowy roads?

6. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    My KM2's are great off-road and seem to perform even better in the rain than they do on dry pavement. Going from the Rugged Trails to the KM2's, yes, obviously, I noticed more tire wandering, road noise, and odd feeling while driving. But that's what you get when you want to have both/either the look or performance of mud tires. I don't go mudding but I do like to wheel a bit, and having the capability of being able to take on some fairly serious terrain is something that I very much appreciate. Haven't run them in the snow yet so I'll see how that goes. If you're looking for a good offroad tire but one that is not really a M/T, I would look into Goodyear Duratracs. Everyone I know that runs them absolutely loves them and I've never heard a single complaint about them.

Matt

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  7. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Onroad they're one of the quietest mts you can buy
    Snow, I have no experience.....

But onroad handling in the rain is average of the mt's. My truck likes to slide backwards up wet hills, and I drift better than most ricers
    Id say get at's if you're worried about onroad performance

Offroad they're great

8. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I second the Duratracs. I have these on my Tacoma and they are great in rain, snow, and mud.

I have the KM2's on my 4runner and the road noise does not bother me but it is a loud truck to begin with. I am happy with them on the trail so far. I have heard they do not last long and don't perform well in snow/ice, so you may want to rule these out.

9. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I'm ready to go back to some BFG ATs or try Duratracs after riding on KM2s for the last 5k miles.

Not exceedingly noise but noisier than the ATs. Also find they don't do as well on wet pavement and break loose easier on dry pavement.

10. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    madhatter45

madhatter45 Active Member

Member:
    I've had BFG MTs on my F250 since the late 90s. What I've found is that they are very quiet on road- for an aggressive MT; its all relevant- They perform very well on mud and rock, pretty good in sand, OK on compact snow and ice; paved roads that have been plowed but have some buildup. They suck in deep, fresh, or loose snow. They last quite a while, 50k+ miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top