Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG Mud Terrains On Road

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
BFG Mud Terrains On Road

I just like the look of them and would only really go offroad when hunting at times or on light trails / dirt roads. Snow travel is also important. But if I get the mud terrains will I regret it due to on road noise or anything else?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would say they are not the most practical tire for your needs. While I have never run them, common sense tells me they will perform poorly in snowy/ slippery conditions and be noisier than an A/T when on the pavement.
I agree though, they do look meaner.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Mud tires in general are not a great selection if snow/ice performance, and on road noise level are priorities of yours.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
M/T are not that good for snow. If you are going to be on the road a majority of the time you wont get many miles out of them either and every vehicle that has had a M/T that i have ridden in is very loud and noisy on the road.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Mud tires in general are not a great selection if snow/ice performance, and on road noise level are priorities of yours.
I wouldn't say road noise or snow are priorities... just variables in the equation. I don't really have a feel for how overbearing or annoying mud tires can sound on the road - never had them. And are we saying that these tires would actually be a downgrade from my rugged fails on snowy roads?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
My KM2's are great off-road and seem to perform even better in the rain than they do on dry pavement. Going from the Rugged Trails to the KM2's, yes, obviously, I noticed more tire wandering, road noise, and odd feeling while driving. But that's what you get when you want to have both/either the look or performance of mud tires. I don't go mudding but I do like to wheel a bit, and having the capability of being able to take on some fairly serious terrain is something that I very much appreciate. Haven't run them in the snow yet so I'll see how that goes. If you're looking for a good offroad tire but one that is not really a M/T, I would look into Goodyear Duratracs. Everyone I know that runs them absolutely loves them and I've never heard a single complaint about them.

Matt
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Onroad they're one of the quietest mts you can buy
Snow, I have no experience.....

But onroad handling in the rain is average of the mt's. My truck likes to slide backwards up wet hills, and I drift better than most ricers
Id say get at's if you're worried about onroad performance

Offroad they're great
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Duratracs. I have these on my Tacoma and they are great in rain, snow, and mud.

I have the KM2's on my 4runner and the road noise does not bother me but it is a loud truck to begin with. I am happy with them on the trail so far. I have heard they do not last long and don't perform well in snow/ice, so you may want to rule these out.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm ready to go back to some BFG ATs or try Duratracs after riding on KM2s for the last 5k miles.

Not exceedingly noise but noisier than the ATs. Also find they don't do as well on wet pavement and break loose easier on dry pavement.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
madhatter45 is on a distinguished road
madhatter45's Tacoma Gallery
I've had BFG MTs on my F250 since the late 90s. What I've found is that they are very quiet on road- for an aggressive MT; its all relevant- They perform very well on mud and rock, pretty good in sand, OK on compact snow and ice; paved roads that have been plowed but have some buildup. They suck in deep, fresh, or loose snow. They last quite a while, 50k+ miles.