Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

thinking about 235/85R16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
thinking about 235/85R16

I am currently running the stock Dunlops and want something a bit better...

The Michelin M/S2 in the LT235/85R16 E seem to offer much greater tire life, load rating and fuel economy. And they will replace the stock tires without a lift...

What would the downside be?

Howard
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
TacoHol1c is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
TacoHol1c's Tacoma Gallery
dont sound like any downside to me. you should put 3" under it and go to 285/75/16 but the route your going i dont see any bad things about it
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
E rated tires will be pretty stiff but otherwise I don't think there is any downside in regards to functionality.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
yea, I have E rated tires on the 62 Town Wagon...LT225/75R16 and I can't wear them out...

I am thinking the service life and improved fuel economy will be worth the decrease in ride comfort:-)

and I am not that big into lifting vehicles, unless I have a real need to...an add a leaf is one thing.

Howard
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Is it just me or is that a super skinny tire?
not super skinny, under 1/2" narrower that the existing 245/75R16 stock tires...

wide tires are not the answer to all problems...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
I like the skinny look and really want 255/85/16 but I don't want to lift it or do any trimming.

I have 245's as well, but my choice is between the 265/75 and the 235/85. They are both nearly the same height but the 235's are about 1" narrower.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post
I like the skinny look and really want 255/85/16 but I don't want to lift it or do any trimming.

I have 245's as well, but my choice is between the 265/75 and the 235/85. They are both nearly the same height but the 235's are about 1" narrower.
I guess in Newfoundland, you would want those in snow tread with studs?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i bet it will look great.

is there a taller 245 tire?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The compound on the heavier LT tires will get harder over time so, although they might have a lot of tread left, the traction is greatly reduced. My dad went through the same thing with several sets of tires on his diesel. They'd wear fine to a point, then it seemed like they stopped wearing down but they'd spin easily and were scary in the rain.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The compound on the heavier LT tires will get harder over time so, although they might have a lot of tread left, the traction is greatly reduced. My dad went through the same thing with several sets of tires on his diesel. They'd wear fine to a point, then it seemed like they stopped wearing down but they'd spin easily and were scary in the rain.
That is common to all tires...while they might have tread, after five years or so, they should be scrapped. I have scrapped many a motorcycle tire that looked fine, but was too old to have good grip.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I guess in Newfoundland, you would want those in snow tread with studs?
You got it. Probably a studded duratrac.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
i run 235's on my 2009 and like them, got them before having any lift at all and they fit with no rubbing on stock rims. they are taller and look better than the stock tires and also ride more like one might expect a truck to ride, i recommend this size if you don't plan on lifting and don't want gas mileage to suffer. from my experience there was absolutely no downside to this tire size.
Oh good, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Discount Tires Direct has them at a good price, Sam's has them, but won't sell them to me since they are the "wrong size"

Howard
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #13

Make sure to post some pics when/if you get them. Help the rest of us make up our minds.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh good, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Discount Tires Direct has them at a good price, Sam's has them, but won't sell them to me since they are the "wrong size"

Howard
I hate when companies pull that crap... Yes, I realize they're not the correct size. No, I don't care. Hell, you're the customer, I never understood companies that wouldn't take your money so you could buy what YOU want.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I hate when companies pull that crap... Yes, I realize they're not the correct size. No, I don't care. Hell, you're the customer, I never understood companies that wouldn't take your money so you could buy what YOU want.
In this case, failure to understand that the change in tire aspect ratio and width isn't significant. After a series of deadly van/SUV roll overs directly related to tire size, quality, and maintenance, the deep pocket companies get very, very nervous. If all four tires match, and match the requirements printed on the door jam, liability gets shifted from the vendor who sold the tires to the company that made the tire AND the company that designated that specific sized tire. I used to teach product liability law to design Safety Professionals.

I could just tell Sams the tires are for a ford F250 and just bring the rims in (while running my winter tires), or just order them through a mail order source or one of the local tire shops in town .

Using a local shop in town will cost a few more dollars, but the Firestone shop that maintains my company car is awfully good to me.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post

You got it. Probably a studded duratrac.
I put a set of studded duratracs in the 285/75R17 size on a buddies lifted jeep and the ONLY thing that beats them is a F-150 with lug tires and chains.

I will probably get duratracs with studs when my current studded snowtires wear out...at 3k a season, it might be a while...typically, we only need them for a few months here.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone noticed big differences in offroad capability since switching to this tall tire?? I read an article saying that a skinny tire helps.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
jkulysses is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-41 Infantry Battalion (Straight and Stalwart)
Name: Jake
jkulysses's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not super skinny, under 1/2" narrower that the existing 245/75R16 stock tires...

wide tires are not the answer to all problems...
I don't even know if you would be able to tell the difference in width with the naked eye lol. 235/85/16 comes out to 9.3 inches wide and the 245/75/16 comes out to 9.6.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #19
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkulysses View Post
I don't even know if you would be able to tell the difference in width with the naked eye lol. 235/85/16 comes out to 9.3 inches wide and the 245/75/16 comes out to 9.6.
What will be obvious is the change in tire aspect ratio...and it looks like tires are on the budget now. I took off the summer tires on Sunday and at 28k miles, not much in way of shoulders left. It must be these twisty roads.

Howard