1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Post Lift Alignment... What's it mean?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jeremy_283, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    What do these numbers mean? How bad am I? Stock UCAs.

upahugug_d6bf6f93d932207d3b97600a9e7289564dfc70ec.jpg

2. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Your after caster is .97 and 1.67 ?

3. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I'm assuming it is actually in the negative? I asked the mechanic if he got everything in spec and he said "it's the best I can do" it was at a dealership that does good work for me.

4. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Your camber and caster aren't great... Camber is how your tires sit relative to vertical when looking straight on from the front. They should be I I if the camber is 0. Yours are slightly \ /. This should be 0 but some shops will sacrifice the camber number in order to get some more caster adjustment. When camber is not 0, it can cause your tires to wear unevenly.

Caster is the angle between vertical and the angle the suspension cycles at when looking side-onto the wheel. Depending on if you're lifted or not, you usually want this number fairly high, like around 2 degrees. Having this number higher will give you greater stability at speed but will make it slightly less comfortable in a corner. The thing I don't really like about your alignment is how the caster is so different from side to side... Caster is not a tire wear issue. Caster can be 'out' and will not cause your tires to wear unevenly.

Toe looks pretty good, you want that at 0 also. Toe is how straight the tires face front to back as opposed to pointing in or pointing out.

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

5. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So is this a typical "you have stock UCAs issue"?

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you have a lift, then having a low caster number is a typical 'stock UCA' issue. You have 2 issues. The first is you have different numbers side to side, like really different numbers side to side. I would guess the truck wants to pull right? The second is a low caster number which may or may not really be an issue. My caster number is similar (about -1.5ish) and it drives and handles great, but I'm also only lifted about 1.5". If you're up around 3" of lift, you'll want that caster number to be higher.

7. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    AcadianTaco

AcadianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    OME 885X with Bilstein 5100, Dakars with 5125, Wheeler's bumpstops, LR UCA
    How much lift do you have up front Jeremy?

8. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have about 2.5" lift (OME 885 w/ all pro modular bumper). Truck drives and handles fine actually. It tracks straight. I do notice it a little more "grabby" when evasive driving at 55mph but that's probably because I removed my swaybar. I do want to get this fixed but what are the major issues with driving my truck like this? Tire wear? Etc.?

9. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do I need to return an ask them to get my caster numbers to be more similar (even if that means both -1.76)

10. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    AcadianTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    My front lift is about 2.25 inch up front, my # were 1.4* for caster, 0.8 for camber and 0.05 for toe before replacing my UCA. I'm surprised your # are so different. I can't explain the results. My center hub to fender are 22.5 inches were 20.25 before the lift.

11. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Ideally you'd want them both at -1.76 but, with stock control arms, you'll likely settle with them both at the lower negative number.

What happens is, all your adjustment is made through the alignment tabs on the LCA. With a fixed upper, you can only adjust the bottom but so much before you have to sacrifice camber for caster. You might start to notice the outside of your front tires wearing a little more quickly than normal so you'll have to keep you with tire rotations. If it drives and handles nice, I wouldn't worry too much about the caster. I can't explain why it would be off so much side to side but, if it's not pulling, I wouldn't worry about it personally.

12. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    AcadianTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    Some alignment tech make the passenger side caster higher by .25 to .5 due to road arch. May not apply on a 5 lane highway but does apply around here in our great back roads.

13. Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The guy came out and said their machine has been giving them issues on their left front caster measurement. ---- Note: I saw the guy pull the truck out of the garage and drive down the road then load it back on the rack--- when I just returned he said what he was doing was going for a drive to see if it drove properly since it may have been the machine messing up. Basically... He said the machines caster measurement on that wheel is messed up..... Sound legit? They are a good dealership that has always done my warranty repairs with no issues so I don't want to hassle them.

Products Discussed in

To Top