Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

My Post Lift Alignment... What's it mean?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Your camber and caster aren't great... Camber is how your tires sit relative to vertical when looking straight on from the front. They should be I I if the camber is 0. Yours are slightly \ /. This should be 0 but some shops will sacrifice the camber number in order to get some more caster adjustment. When camber is not 0, it can cause your tires to wear unevenly.

Caster is the angle between vertical and the angle the suspension cycles at when looking side-onto the wheel. Depending on if you're lifted or not, you usually want this number fairly high, like around 2 degrees. Having this number higher will give you greater stability at speed but will make it slightly less comfortable in a corner. The thing I don't really like about your alignment is how the caster is so different from side to side... Caster is not a tire wear issue. Caster can be 'out' and will not cause your tires to wear unevenly.

Toe looks pretty good, you want that at 0 also. Toe is how straight the tires face front to back as opposed to pointing in or pointing out.

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
So is this a typical "you have stock UCAs issue"?
If you have a lift, then having a low caster number is a typical 'stock UCA' issue. You have 2 issues. The first is you have different numbers side to side, like really different numbers side to side. I would guess the truck wants to pull right? The second is a low caster number which may or may not really be an issue. My caster number is similar (about -1.5ish) and it drives and handles great, but I'm also only lifted about 1.5". If you're up around 3" of lift, you'll want that caster number to be higher.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My front lift is about 2.25 inch up front, my # were 1.4* for caster, 0.8 for camber and 0.05 for toe before replacing my UCA. I'm surprised your # are so different. I can't explain the results. My center hub to fender are 22.5 inches were 20.25 before the lift.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
Do I need to return an ask them to get my caster numbers to be more similar (even if that means both -1.76)
Ideally you'd want them both at -1.76 but, with stock control arms, you'll likely settle with them both at the lower negative number.

What happens is, all your adjustment is made through the alignment tabs on the LCA. With a fixed upper, you can only adjust the bottom but so much before you have to sacrifice camber for caster. You might start to notice the outside of your front tires wearing a little more quickly than normal so you'll have to keep you with tire rotations. If it drives and handles nice, I wouldn't worry too much about the caster. I can't explain why it would be off so much side to side but, if it's not pulling, I wouldn't worry about it personally.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Some alignment tech make the passenger side caster higher by .25 to .5 due to road arch. May not apply on a 5 lane highway but does apply around here in our great back roads.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
The guy came out and said their machine has been giving them issues on their left front caster measurement. ---- Note: I saw the guy pull the truck out of the garage and drive down the road then load it back on the rack--- when I just returned he said what he was doing was going for a drive to see if it drove properly since it may have been the machine messing up. Basically... He said the machines caster measurement on that wheel is messed up..... Sound legit? They are a good dealership that has always done my warranty repairs with no issues so I don't want to hassle them.