3000 Miles 25 9.12%
5000 Miles 178 64.96%
7500 Miles 26 9.49%
10000 Miles 30 10.95%
Never 15 5.47%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
How Often Do You Rotate Your Tires??

Note if you've had any issues with cupping/uneven tire wear and how many miles your tires have on them.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles, no sooner. I do notice cupping and I can't figure out what's causing it but it's not severe. I also only noticed cupping with both sets of my Cooper A/Ts, my summer highway tires don't seem to be having the same problem. The Cooper tires I have are the AT3's and I had the ATR's before them. My summer tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T's.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Take a look at your alignment numbers and post them if you can, Pugga. I bet you have positive camber and toe. maybe a little toward the upper range of the factory allowable but still in spec.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
Take a look at your alignment numbers and post them if you can, Pugga. I bet you have positive camber and toe. maybe a little toward the upper range of the factory allowable but still in spec.
Nope, I've got good numbers. My caster was in the 1.6 - 1.7ish, toe and camber were very very close to 0. I'm not lifted very high so alignment really isn't an issue for me. The cupping is actually more noticable on the rear tires. The outter edge of the fronts gets chewed up but that's just from cornering harder than I should with a lifted truck on A/T's
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #5

Interesting. the guy who aligned my truck purposefully gave me some pos camber and toe for drivability but warned me that I'd have to rotate often to prevent cupping. Hopefully every 3000-5000 is enough? Based on your experience and having near 0 toe and camber, I might have worse cupping issues than you, Pugga. (Right most numbers are the final alignment numbers - basically in the middle of the recommended range)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Those numbers don't look too bad in my opinion. Just keep an eye on the outside edge of the front tires, especially if you drive aggressively in corners. I wouldn't rotate them any sooner than 3,000 miles.

The cupping I'm fighting is in the rear and I think it's caused by the drum being out of balance. The weights that are on the drum from the factory fell off and I think that's causing some cupping over time. My fronts will start to wear a little more on the outter edge (yours probably will also) but overall isn't bad.

I don't think you'll have any real issues with your tires based on your alignment numbers.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
I have my tires rotated at each 5,000 mile servicing or 6 months.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Those numbers don't look too bad in my opinion. Just keep an eye on the outside edge of the front tires, especially if you drive aggressively in corners. I wouldn't rotate them any sooner than 3,000 miles.

The cupping I'm fighting is in the rear and I think it's caused by the drum being out of balance. The weights that are on the drum from the factory fell off and I think that's causing some cupping over time. My fronts will start to wear a little more on the outter edge (yours probably will also) but overall isn't bad.

I don't think you'll have any real issues with your tires based on your alignment numbers.

That's good to hear - i love the look and price of those tires. Glad i researched so much. Actually read a few of your threads before buying them, haha.

Yeah i'd get the drum looked at - 100 bucks now might save you a few hundred later. Sometimes with unbalanced tires, or in your case a drum, you will get spotty and uneven wear, not necessairly cupping. So who knows if that is your issue or not...

We may just have a high maintenance tire that requires frequent rotation. I've read a lot of posts inside and outside of TW that says cupping is a common problem. Oh well, it's a good habit to get into anyway. Looks like I'm going every oil change.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I will admit, they are a nice looking tire! I'll put mine back on at the end of the month and store the highway tires. The truck just looks soo much meaner with the A/T's
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
I will admit, they are a nice looking tire! I'll put mine back on at the end of the month and store the highway tires. The truck just looks soo much meaner with the A/T's

Agreed
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Every time I go off road.
I run 1 set of tires & wheels for commuting & one set for off road so every time I change out my tires they get rotated. No cupping or uneven wear on ether the Dungflops or the BFG KM2s.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Every time I go off road.
I run 1 set of tires & wheels for commuting & one set for off road so every time I change out my tires they get rotated. No cupping or uneven wear on ether the Dungflops or the BFG KM2s.

How often do you off-road?

I just sold my Dungflops haha
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
I never rotate my tires unless I see a wear problem, then I have the alignment checked. Usually any problem is from off road hitting stuff.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto. Never rotate unless see uneven wear. Offroading usually tears them up first ha.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
How often do you off-road?

I just sold my Dungflops haha
Not as often as I'd like to.
Been too busy lately.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles, no sooner. I do notice cupping and I can't figure out what's causing it but it's not severe. I also only noticed cupping with both sets of my Cooper A/Ts, my summer highway tires don't seem to be having the same problem. The Cooper tires I have are the AT3's and I had the ATR's before them. My summer tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T's.

I have a very similar problem. The tires that are on the rear are cupping (same model tire, cooper AT3's) and if I rotate them to the front, I get an awful driveline vibe that makes the truck unpleasant to drive. That said, I no longer rotate them because I can't stand the vibrations. They've only been on the truck for about 15,000 miles and the vibrations showed up for the first time after they were rotated (with the oil change). It went away after the next rotation, and came back the next time again so, the most recent time, I just un-rotated them and left it be.

Is it possible that at least one of those tires may have a defect from the factory?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I rotate mine every other oil change..i do alot of turns, so i try and keep them so they evenly wear
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
Cactus Mike is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Cactus Mike's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Bridgestone's lived for 42500

I rotate every 5,000 miles. At 42500, I picked up a 2" bolt thru the right rear. I believe I could have gotten 50,000 miles but I decided to put on the high end Michelins' with the 80,000 mile tread wear guarantee.

Now, no more tire talk for three or four years.