Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Will this set up work?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weather Journeyman
Name: Zach
usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
Will this set up work?

17x9
Offset: -12mm Backspacing: 4.56" Bolt Pattern: 6-139

Rec. Tire Size:265/65-17

Will this set up work on my 4wd Access cab? I have the 16 inch steelies right now with the crappy dunlops.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
9 inches wide is to big for most 265s

Edit- *some 265s IMO i would go with a skinnier wheel or wider tire
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

But yes this setup will work otherwise
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
the 265-65 was recommended by tire rack for those wheels.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafwx View Post
the 265-65 was recommended by tire rack for those wheels.
Just checked your right. I was thinking of one size bigger, in your case 265/70/17 and i believe 8.5" wheel is the biggest recomended size.

With a wide wheel like that your wheel will be more exposed to rocks if you offroad. But backspacing should work on those wheels.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
so stick with the 265/65/17's? the wheel is 17x9 or should I do something wider? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Check the tire manufacturers website to see if their 265s are approved for 9" wheels. Most are not.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
so stick with the 265/65/17's? the wheel is 17x9 or should I do something wider? Thanks!
If you go wider then you will have to worry about rubbing issues. No bueno. I would say stick with that size. If you do any offroading tho i would get a skinnier wheel if you are going to run that tire size. For example the stock trd offroads use that tire size, but on a 7" wheel. The sidewall of the tire sticks out past the rim which will help keep the rocks away from your nice shinny wheels.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Check the tire manufacturers website to see if their 265s are approved for 9" wheels. Most are not.
Thats what i thought, then i went on tire rack. Bfg ATs in that size are approved for up to 9.5 inches. Seems to big right?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Thats what i thought, then i went on tire rack. Bfg ATs in that size are approved for up to 9.5 inches. Seems to big right?
All depends on the size and the manufacturer. As per the BFG website, their 265/65/17s are approve for 9" wide, but their 265/70/17s are not. I'm not sure what tests or criteria they use for the specifications.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha, thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #12

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2nd question i was wondering was tire rack states I cant swap my tpms sensors since they are on a steel wheel now and im moving to an alloy wheel. is that right?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2nd question i was wondering was tire rack states I cant swap my tpms sensors since they are on a steel wheel now and im moving to an alloy wheel. is that right?
You can use tpms straps to mount them, or some folks have had success rotating them 180 degrees

Also you can run 265/70/17s on stock suspension with no rubbing
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Not positive on this, but i believe the tpms on steel wheels is different than the tpms on stock tacoma alloy rims. I think it has to do with the angle? I know the tpms on the stock alloy wheels will work with most aftermarket wheels. Do a quick search because i have read somewhere that there is a solution to this, i think you have to flip them upside down and secure them with somekind of strap. Or you can buy a set of tpms from the alloy wheels, i saw a set for sale the other day.