Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

HELP... Replacing rear wheel studs with longer ones...??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Question HELP... Replacing rear wheel studs with longer ones...??

Does anyone know how I would go about replacing the rear OEM Studs with Longer wheel studs? How do I take the assembly apart??

My problem is that I don't have enough room behind the wheel stud plate and the rear drum casing to get the stud through the hole.

Does the wheel stud plate come off?? I'm having trouble with the rears not the fronts. The fronts are done.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
put a lug nut on a few turns and hit it with a hammer
try that first....
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/-U6T5I35GUE
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
My problem is that I don't have enough room behind the wheel stud plate and the rear drum casing to get the stud through the hole.

Does the wheel stud plate come off?? I'm having trouble with the rears not the fronts. The fronts are done.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
check out this stickied thread at the top of this subforum:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...t-what-do.html
Thanks but that doesn't help me. That doesn't help my issue
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You will probably have to pull the axle shaft.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Thats not what I was hoping to hear but I have to replace an axle seal anyways I guess.

:craps torm:
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:

But even if I pull the Axle shaft.... how does that give me any extra room???
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
But even if I pull the Axle shaft.... how does that give me any extra room???
The studs are in the end plate of the shaft. If you pull the shaft you can knock them in from the back. My Ranger just had enough room to change them without pulling the shaft. Idk if you can unbolt the backing plate.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rd-member.html
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery
I may be wrong, but can't you just drill a hole through the backing plate and punch the stud through the hole?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoVerde View Post
I may be wrong, but can't you just drill a hole through the backing plate and punch the stud through the hole?
Is this possible? and if so...what would I plug the hole with afterwards?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The studs are in the end plate of the shaft. If you pull the shaft you can knock them in from the back. My Ranger just had enough room to change them without pulling the shaft. Idk if you can unbolt the backing plate.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rd-member.html
I don't think you can unbolt the backing plate.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Edit: Never mind, I'm not sure
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
I just want to know if there is anyway I can take the rear wheel stud plate off the rear axle???? HELP... Replacing rear wheel studs with longer ones...??-412093b.jpg
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #17
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
Thanks but that doesn't help me. That doesn't help my issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
axle shaft will need to be removed from truck then the shaft pressed out of where the backing plate assembly bolts to

http://128.83.80.200/taco/rwb.html
Thank you.. when our wheel came off in an accident could not for the life of me remember if we took it of ourselves (obviously not) or took it to shop to get pressed out.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
You can also try and hold the backing plate and slam the axle on a piece of concrete or something and it might pop out but you risk damaging the splines. Press is def the "easiest" way to do it, if you want to call that easy lol
We tried.. we also took it to his work (at a delaership) and they didn't have a press that could get his bearing/backing plate out. We ended up walking to some press shop, and for 15/20 they put it in a big ass press, pressed everything out, then pressed the new parts in. They even mentioned how "hard" it was to get everything pressed out. We lost our wheel on the freeway, pretty much everything in the passenger rear had to be replaced.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #19
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
why not just get spaces? that would be alot less trouble?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
why not just get spaces? that would be alot less trouble?
He's putting longer wheel studs on, I don't see what spacers(?) has to do with it.