Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to inflate a tire with a can of WD-40

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The sudden spike in pressure basically sucks the tire right back to the bead. Interesting, I think I've heard of this before but I think its a secret long kept within the tire industry.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That video is so redneck they even spelled tire Tyre!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
That video is so redneck they even spelled tire Tyre!
Um i think they're Australian
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Done this with starter fluid. Never thought wd40 would work.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
This was on a Mythbuster episode. Basically it works PARTIALLY. It won't actually inflate it enough to get you back on the road, BUT it will re-seat the tire on the rim if you're aired down for mudding and tires slides off.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
All it does is reseat the bead. I reset my bead using a compressor and just wiggling the tire on the rim. And then I don't have random chemicals on the inside of my tire.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Shitty video from the artic pole challenge on Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCrqNIpiMM
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Mid Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Um i think they're Australian
Ahh! That makes sense now :P lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
This was on a Mythbuster episode. Basically it works PARTIALLY. It won't actually inflate it enough to get you back on the road, BUT it will re-seat the tire on the rim if you're aired down for mudding and tires slides off.
Yeah, I mean if you are relying solely on this to reinflate your tire you might have to call a friend who owns a mobile air compressor to get you back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
All it does is reseat the bead. I reset my bead using a compressor and just wiggling the tire on the rim. And then I don't have random chemicals on the inside of my tire.
Well WD-40 has the consistency to that of water, not to mention it wears away FAST. Honestly a little WD-40 on a rubber tire which has steel within the inside of it is not going to do any harm.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
Honestly a little WD-40 on a rubber tire which has steel within the inside of it is not going to do any harm.
This is how I keep my wheel bearings from going out!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
If you have a weak compressor, you can also reset the bead using a heavy duty ratchet strap. With load E tires it might be a little tough, but it can be done. Honestly, the starting fluid method is probably safer than using a ratchet strap.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Mid Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
This is how I keep my wheel bearings from going out!

You should use liquid wrench's silicone spray instead, that stuff is fantastic
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Back to being serious, I've used the starting fluid method to re-seat the front tire on a backhoe out in the field. I only had one 5 gallon tank of compressed air and didn't want to waste it all trying to seat the bead. After seating the bead, the tank of air filled enough to get me back in action.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Back to being serious, I've used the starting fluid method to re-seat the front tire on a backhoe out in the field. I only had one 5 gallon tank of compressed air and didn't want to waste it all trying to seat the bead. After seating the bead, the tank of air filled enough to get me back in action.
Actually, as you said, this method is to reseal the tire and afterwards you just fill it with whatever you have (tank or compressor) and you won't waste time or the air of your tank