Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Is Discount tire smoking crack?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
thatdood is on a distinguished road

thatdood's Tacoma Gallery
Is Discount tire smoking crack?

I've got a 2009 Tacoma Prerunner double cab with no lift. I just bought some XD Monsters 18x9 with -12mm offset.

The guy at discount tire told me I would have to have a lift put on my truck before these wheels would fit right. He said they would stick out too far now. I've done a lot of research on here and have seen several guys running these same wheels with either 265/60/18 tires or 285/60/18 tires.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i could see a small lift so you have no rubbing. -12 is alot of offset, no?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna need some lift.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Banned
evh5150 will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
evh5150's Tacoma Gallery
Duhhhhhhhhhhhh gonna need a lift, They know what they are talking about. Derp
Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

From the kmc wheels website, it shows these are the correct offset for a prerunner.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdood View Post
18x9 with -12mm offset.

265/60/18 tires or 285/60/18 tires.
You might get away with a 265/60 on that wheel, but not a 285/60. A 285 will definitely rub without a lift.
Quote:
From the kmc wheels website, it shows these are the correct offset for a prerunner.
That is not showing you what the "correct" offset is, that is showing you what will fit.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
be weary of anyone telling you your truck will need a lift to fit a tire or wheel if they do not ask you the application of your truck.

unless your mall crawling a lift will not stop you from rubbing.

your shock geometry and travel remains the same with a lift (if it rubs without a lift it will rub with one)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
You might get away with a 265/60 on that wheel, but not a 285/60. A 285 will definitely rub without a lift.
Agreed. Basically I am planning to put 265s for now until I can afford to lift and get wider tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
be weary of anyone telling you your truck will need a lift to fit a tire or wheel if they do not ask you the application of your truck.

your shock geometry and travel remains the same with a lift (if it rubs without a lift it will rub with one)
Agreed as well. I'm driving mostly in town and on the highway. I may take my dogs to the lake, but no serious off-roading.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i could see a small lift so you have no rubbing. -12 is alot of offset, no?
I plan on eventually lifting. I'm not much of a mechanic, but -12mm is a little less than half an inch. I guess that is a lot in the offset world? I'm honestly asking because I don't know.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't read the post, only the title, and my response is....
Most likely.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I plan on eventually lifting. I'm not much of a mechanic, but -12mm is a little less than half an inch. I guess that is a lot in the offset world? I'm honestly asking because I don't know.
I suggest you do some more research, because there's no way you can agree with XXXX, and agree with me. What he said makes no sense, and is the exact opposite of what everyone else is telling you. The whole reason you need to lift, is because it's the only way you're going to avoid rubbing with those wheels. Trust me, I'm currently running the same width and offset wheel, and used to run 285/60/18's myself.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
I didn't read the post, only the title, and my response is....
Most likely.
Lazy fucker..
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
I suggest you do some more research, because there's no way you can agree with XXXX, and agree with me. What he said makes no sense, and is the exact opposite of what everyone else is telling you. The whole reason you need to lift, is because it's the only way you're going to avoid rubbing with those wheels. Trust me, I'm currently running the same width and offset wheel, and used to run 285/60/18's myself.
I appreciate the encouragement. What I'm saying is that I plan to run 265s and then eventually lift and run 285s.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Lazy fucker..
No shit! there was only 11 posts to that point!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Everyone including you are wrong. It's simple geometry.

Please tell me how lifting a truck changes your geometry and shock travel

If you don't believe me pop this question over int he "mid-travel bs" thread and see what happens
Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Wild Ginger

Quote:

Everyone including you are wrong. It's simple geometry.

Please tell me how lifting a truck changes your geometry and shock travel

If you don't believe me pop this question over int he "mid-travel bs" thread and see what happens
Please tell me how lifting doesn't provide more tire clearance. Actually never mind, I remembered that you just like to argue.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is true for the preferred types of lifts (5100s, OMEs, coilovers). If the OP goes for a Revtek top plate spacer lift, the wheel position at full tuck will be lower than stock, so tire clearance is increased. Of course, he will have other problems associated with spacer lifts (like shocks breaking). The other alternative is lift spindles, which likewise increase tire clearance with no drawbacks other than cost.

To the OP: 265/60-18 is a 31" tire and will fit with that wheel at stock ride height. 285/60-18 would probably require you to trim away the lip of the plastic fender flare where it wraps around the bottom of the fender.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL at this post.
-12 offset on a 9" rim = 4.52" backspacing.
With a 265...not a single fuck given. With a 285 and a 3" lift....still gonna need a hammer and a grinder if you want to be rub free.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Please tell me how lifting doesn't provide more tire clearance. Actually never mind, I remembered that you just like to argue.
Depends on the lift. For a 6 DB lift...you're correct.
But for your standard 3" lift (pick your poison) you only get more tire clearance AT RIDE HEIGHT. Full compression and you're in the exact same boat as without a lift.