1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG All Terrain vs GY Duratracs

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by specialk2012, Oct 17, 2012.

?

All Terrain vs Duratracs

Poll closed Nov 16, 2012.
  1. All Terrain

102 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. Duractracs

115 vote(s)
    53.0%
  1. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    specialk2012

specialk2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    I've been looking to get some new tires for better traction in winter months, and I also do my fair share of dirt/gravel road driving. Offroad, but not in extreme circumstances.

I've narrowed my choices down to the BFG All Terrains and the GY Duractracs. Both I would get in the 265. I've read plenty of reviews around here and both seem to be well respected and having a tough time narrowing it down.

Opinions on the two?

2. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    The duractracs i had were terrible in the rain. Tires would slip every time i started from a stop. Never used them in snow though. This could have been an isolated incident but they were pretty terrible.

3. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I've had the bfgs on my old truck. They were really nice. But I'm giving the duratracs a shot sometime soon. I've heard good and bad about the duratracs. Main thing was the sidewall ripped easily. But that was from people who wheel in sharp rocks all the time. Both great in snow.

4. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB TRD/OR 4x4
    If you want the best traction during winter months then you gotta go with the duratracs. They are designed to perform amazingly well on wet roads due to their softer rubber texture and aggressive pattern. These tires are impressive in road handling and in the snow they turn "beast mode" due to in part of GY's self cleaning technology. Visually they look mean and beefy like they have plans to eat your newborn child. The only problem I have is that these tires will wear out much faster than the BFGs, not a deal breaker since they are a bit cheaper. Duratracs overall are excellent tires, they weigh less (may save you a little on MPG but who is really counting, lolz) and look amazing on any rig.

Now for the BFG T/A KOs, if you want some trusty shoes that will perform extremely well all around in any scenario (badged A/T for a reason), much like a swiss army knife, durable as hell and will last forever and a day, get the BFGs.

Also an important note, the Duratracs have a good amount of road noise at higher speeds compared to my BFGs. It's noticeable and makes my BFGs sound completely silent. This is all from my personal experience and can be the deal breaker for some. Not a big deal for me. I'm lucky to own both tires and in the 265 size.

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose between the two, I would get the BFGs but glad I don't have to make that choice! :D

5. Oct 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    The only tire I may concider running after my BFG A/Ts Go bald is the KM2s...the BFG All Terrains are the best tires I've owned.

6. Oct 17, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Had 285 Duratracs and now 315s, snow:thumbsup:

Looking to go 37" BFG at next set.

7. Oct 18, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    mccarroll

mccarroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4
  8. Oct 18, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    I've never owned a Goodyear Duratrac so I cannot comment on how they fare.

But, I have owned a set of BFG A/T's and they were awesome. Also the BFG's come stock on a few different Toyota 4x4's, that to me says that they must be a reliable, long-lasting, relatively good-mannered tire.

Plus a buddy of mine got 110K out of his BFG's. (He rotated with every oil change, checked air pressure every time he got gas, etc.)

9. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    speyguy

speyguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta, BFG AT, Weathertech Digital Fits, AVS Bug Deflector II
    Never ran the Duratracs but loads of experience with the BF's. Great tire for most situations. I found them very good in the snow, ok in the mud and no slipping in the rain, they wore like iron. They do get noisy after the tread wears down, of course just just turn up the radio :)

When these stupid stock dunlops wear out (wont take long LOL) on my new SR5 a set of BF's will be going on it. Sweet mother of god what was Toyota thinking with these stock tires?

Dick Cepek FCII are not a bad AT tire either, I had them on my Colorado I just traded. They wore excellent and were every bit as good off road as the BF, perhaps better in the mud. Cheaper as well. BUT I had two issues with them, side wall cracked(replaced under warranty) and when it got real cold the rubber turned into a hockey puck LOL.

10. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    specialk2012

specialk2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    When I went to my local Toyota Service they recommended these two at $278 a tire for 3, and get the 4th for free. I was told the BFG's would be able to get around 60,000 miles, and were exactly what someone said here, the swiss army knife of tires. Good in rain, snow, mud, whatever.

As for the Duratracs, was told about the Kevlar siding which helps a ton in offroading situations, and these tires perform the best if looking to do some serious offroading. These would only get about 40,000 miles, and they would definitely be much noisier.

Knew the Duratracs were well received, but now really pleased to hear the BFG's are as wel. They seem like the better investment for me as I'm not an extreme offroad kinda guy. The aesthetics of them while on the truck were certainly a factor as well, and after looking at both a ton, it's really a toss up. Throw any of these in 265 on their, and looks badass!

Thanks a ton! Now onto finding them the cheapest.

11. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Ive had both. DT looks more awesomer and does well in all conditions: snow, rain and the twice a year that I wheel on non-sharp rocks. Im getting 18-21.5 mpgs with my DTs after the 10k mark. Oh and also first 10k they throw gravel like a bitch. Limestone roads here.
    BFGs are quieter and have slight edge with tread life and perform close to equally well overall but not quite as well in snow and offroad.

12. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I have the BFG's

I've had them since 2010(new on the truck)

I've put nearly 30,000 (almost all city and highway miles)

It's almost 2013 and i have about 60% left which i think is amazing.

I dont offroad so i couldnt input anything there.

It does handle well in the rain i will say.

When these wear off more BFG's will be going on. I think they're worth the price but it's up to you ultimately :)

13. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Ditto to the gravel throwing of the duratrac for the first few thousand miles. ^ I have had two sets of duratracs, their snow performance is awesome, never had a problem in rain, they have cleaned out well in mud for me, and have no road noise (Load range E) The load range C I had before were a little "womp womp wompy" if you know what i'm describing.

Overall excellent tire. I've had a pair of BFG KO's a long time ago but from what I can remember the performance was roughly equal minus snow and mud clearing.

~M

14. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    The duratracs are around 10 pounds lighter PER tire for what it's worth

15. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    I have run both, and I have to say I prefer the Duratracs over the BFG's. I have gotten amazing mileage out of the Duratracs, and never had an issue on or off road with them. They cut through snow and mud amazingly, and the only issue I have had was on black ice where I did get a little sideways but they kept me on the road vs. the 20+ cars in the ditch.

I do about 60+ miles a day for work and my Duratracs still look new after 2 years of use. The key thing is to make sure a good shop balances them (reduces road noise and vibration) and you rotate them regularly, and they will work out great for you.

16. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Both good tires. You'll get more miles and a quieter ride from the BFG's. I personally have the Duratracs and will likely get them again when they need replacing. My truck area lots of highway and only see off road from time to time. They have been excellent in the snow. The 2 factors that convinced me to get them were their looks and ratings for snow use. Have close to 30k on my current set.

17. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    specialk2012

specialk2012 [OP] Member

Member:
    I think the weight of the tires is certainly a factor that I didn't think about but now am a bit more concerned about it after reading that perhaps Tacomas are too light for the BFG's? Just some thoughts here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/64180-bf-goodrich-all-terrain-ko.html

From what I can tell the difference in MPG drop with either is pretty comparable.

I also am currently working with the stock 245/75/16, so if I was looking to throw on 265's, would I stick with the 75/16 measurements?

18. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Yea, you should have no problem with that size.

19. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I got 33000 thousand on mine but I beat my to shit I got chucks missing, also got couple patches in each tire about ten all around. But I still have another 10000 to go.

20. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Marc's state ment above is interesting thAt his Cs were louder. I've ran E loads before a d killed mpgs and pep.
    I've had my DTs balanced multi times, added hubcentric centering rings and thy drive me nuts with vibes and noises. I also rotate every oil change. I considered dyna-beads even. My next set will be Road-force balanced (whatever that means).

Products Discussed in

To Top