All Terrain 102 47.00%
Duractracs 115 53.00%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
specialk2012 is on a distinguished road
specialk2012's Tacoma Gallery
BFG All Terrain vs GY Duratracs

I've been looking to get some new tires for better traction in winter months, and I also do my fair share of dirt/gravel road driving. Offroad, but not in extreme circumstances.

I've narrowed my choices down to the BFG All Terrains and the GY Duractracs. Both I would get in the 265. I've read plenty of reviews around here and both seem to be well respected and having a tough time narrowing it down.

Opinions on the two?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The duractracs i had were terrible in the rain. Tires would slip every time i started from a stop. Never used them in snow though. This could have been an isolated incident but they were pretty terrible.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the bfgs on my old truck. They were really nice. But I'm giving the duratracs a shot sometime soon. I've heard good and bad about the duratracs. Main thing was the sidewall ripped easily. But that was from people who wheel in sharp rocks all the time. Both great in snow.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the best traction during winter months then you gotta go with the duratracs. They are designed to perform amazingly well on wet roads due to their softer rubber texture and aggressive pattern. These tires are impressive in road handling and in the snow they turn "beast mode" due to in part of GY's self cleaning technology. Visually they look mean and beefy like they have plans to eat your newborn child. The only problem I have is that these tires will wear out much faster than the BFGs, not a deal breaker since they are a bit cheaper. Duratracs overall are excellent tires, they weigh less (may save you a little on MPG but who is really counting, lolz) and look amazing on any rig.

Now for the BFG T/A KOs, if you want some trusty shoes that will perform extremely well all around in any scenario (badged A/T for a reason), much like a swiss army knife, durable as hell and will last forever and a day, get the BFGs.

Also an important note, the Duratracs have a good amount of road noise at higher speeds compared to my BFGs. It's noticeable and makes my BFGs sound completely silent. This is all from my personal experience and can be the deal breaker for some. Not a big deal for me. I'm lucky to own both tires and in the 265 size.

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose between the two, I would get the BFGs but glad I don't have to make that choice!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The only tire I may concider running after my BFG A/Ts Go bald is the KM2s...the BFG All Terrains are the best tires I've owned.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Had 285 Duratracs and now 315s, snow

Looking to go 37" BFG at next set.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had either tire yet, so i didn't vote. But, from what I have read on here, everyone seems to somewhat agree that the duratracs perform excellent in the rain and snow.

Check this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...duratracs.html
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
I've never owned a Goodyear Duratrac so I cannot comment on how they fare.

But, I have owned a set of BFG A/T's and they were awesome. Also the BFG's come stock on a few different Toyota 4x4's, that to me says that they must be a reliable, long-lasting, relatively good-mannered tire.

Plus a buddy of mine got 110K out of his BFG's. (He rotated with every oil change, checked air pressure every time he got gas, etc.)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
speyguy is on a distinguished road
speyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Never ran the Duratracs but loads of experience with the BF's. Great tire for most situations. I found them very good in the snow, ok in the mud and no slipping in the rain, they wore like iron. They do get noisy after the tread wears down, of course just just turn up the radio

When these stupid stock dunlops wear out (wont take long LOL) on my new SR5 a set of BF's will be going on it. Sweet mother of god what was Toyota thinking with these stock tires?

Dick Cepek FCII are not a bad AT tire either, I had them on my Colorado I just traded. They wore excellent and were every bit as good off road as the BF, perhaps better in the mud. Cheaper as well. BUT I had two issues with them, side wall cracked(replaced under warranty) and when it got real cold the rubber turned into a hockey puck LOL.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
When I went to my local Toyota Service they recommended these two at $278 a tire for 3, and get the 4th for free. I was told the BFG's would be able to get around 60,000 miles, and were exactly what someone said here, the swiss army knife of tires. Good in rain, snow, mud, whatever.

As for the Duratracs, was told about the Kevlar siding which helps a ton in offroading situations, and these tires perform the best if looking to do some serious offroading. These would only get about 40,000 miles, and they would definitely be much noisier.

Knew the Duratracs were well received, but now really pleased to hear the BFG's are as wel. They seem like the better investment for me as I'm not an extreme offroad kinda guy. The aesthetics of them while on the truck were certainly a factor as well, and after looking at both a ton, it's really a toss up. Throw any of these in 265 on their, and looks badass!

Thanks a ton! Now onto finding them the cheapest.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had both. DT looks more awesomer and does well in all conditions: snow, rain and the twice a year that I wheel on non-sharp rocks. Im getting 18-21.5 mpgs with my DTs after the 10k mark. Oh and also first 10k they throw gravel like a bitch. Limestone roads here.
BFGs are quieter and have slight edge with tread life and perform close to equally well overall but not quite as well in snow and offroad.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I have the BFG's

I've had them since 2010(new on the truck)

I've put nearly 30,000 (almost all city and highway miles)

It's almost 2013 and i have about 60% left which i think is amazing.

I dont offroad so i couldnt input anything there.

It does handle well in the rain i will say.

When these wear off more BFG's will be going on. I think they're worth the price but it's up to you ultimately
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto to the gravel throwing of the duratrac for the first few thousand miles. ^ I have had two sets of duratracs, their snow performance is awesome, never had a problem in rain, they have cleaned out well in mud for me, and have no road noise (Load range E) The load range C I had before were a little "womp womp wompy" if you know what i'm describing.

Overall excellent tire. I've had a pair of BFG KO's a long time ago but from what I can remember the performance was roughly equal minus snow and mud clearing.

~M
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
The duratracs are around 10 pounds lighter PER tire for what it's worth
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
I have run both, and I have to say I prefer the Duratracs over the BFG's. I have gotten amazing mileage out of the Duratracs, and never had an issue on or off road with them. They cut through snow and mud amazingly, and the only issue I have had was on black ice where I did get a little sideways but they kept me on the road vs. the 20+ cars in the ditch.

I do about 60+ miles a day for work and my Duratracs still look new after 2 years of use. The key thing is to make sure a good shop balances them (reduces road noise and vibration) and you rotate them regularly, and they will work out great for you.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Both good tires. You'll get more miles and a quieter ride from the BFG's. I personally have the Duratracs and will likely get them again when they need replacing. My truck area lots of highway and only see off road from time to time. They have been excellent in the snow. The 2 factors that convinced me to get them were their looks and ratings for snow use. Have close to 30k on my current set.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
I think the weight of the tires is certainly a factor that I didn't think about but now am a bit more concerned about it after reading that perhaps Tacomas are too light for the BFG's? Just some thoughts here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...errain-ko.html

From what I can tell the difference in MPG drop with either is pretty comparable.

I also am currently working with the stock 245/75/16, so if I was looking to throw on 265's, would I stick with the 75/16 measurements?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #18
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, you should have no problem with that size.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I got 33000 thousand on mine but I beat my to shit I got chucks missing, also got couple patches in each tire about ten all around. But I still have another 10000 to go.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Marc's state ment above is interesting thAt his Cs were louder. I've ran E loads before a d killed mpgs and pep.
I've had my DTs balanced multi times, added hubcentric centering rings and thy drive me nuts with vibes and noises. I also rotate every oil change. I considered dyna-beads even. My next set will be Road-force balanced (whatever that means).