Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Better MPG - 235 E or 265 C ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
Better MPG - 235 E or 265 C ?

So like the title says, which tire would produce better gas mileage? A 235/85/16 in an E or a 265/75/16 in a C assuming they are the same brand & model?

I am thinking about duratracs, but please do not let this turn into a skinny vs wide discussion. Just mileage.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seriously, 54 views and nobody has an opinion on this?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming they are the same load range and tread pattern, I would put good money on the 235's getting better mileage although I'm not sure you'll find any that are C rated. Usually the tall, narrow truck tires are D or E rated. That being said, I still think the 235's might be a little better.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I think it may depend on the kind of driving you do. I am assuming that the E-rated are significantly heavier than the E-rated.

If you do more city driving or more stop and go, the 265 C-rated may give you better mileage since they are lighter and easier to get moving and stop moving, and they would provide more resistance on the highway.

If you do mostly highway driving, once moving, the heavier tires will want to keep moving, and being narrower they would provide less resistance.

But this is all a guess based on simple physics.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you go with Duratracs here are some specs.

235/85/16 Duratrac (Load range E) tires weighs 51 lbs each.

265/75/16 Duratrac (Load range C) tires weighs 45 lbs each.

So although the Load Range Es will have less contact patch on the road, they will be 24 lbs. heavier than the Load Cs. This rolling weight along with other variables such as tread and compound is what contribute to the decline of your gas mileage.

265/75/16s will give better gas mileage.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
That's 24 extra lbs to get rolling. I'd wager that takes a toll in town in stop and go but on the highway may pan out since they are much skinnier.

Do you do more city or highway?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Mostly city driving for me. I think this settles it. I prefer the look of the 265s anyhow i think.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Heavier tires are gonna destroy your mileage. I have 2 complete sets of wheels and tires, both on OE OR wheels so there is no difference there. Stock Dungflops = 22 MPG average. E Rated Toyo MT 265/75's (10 ply tires) = 17 average. I run the high mileage tires in spring and summer and the heavy ones for fall and winter (hunting and skiing) seasons.