1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Semi Plasti Dipped wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RRDave, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    I've been struggling with the idea of painting my rims. I bought the truck used and recently the inside edge of the spokes have begun to pit pretty seriously and even flaked off in a couple of spots. The face of the rims are still in pretty good shape and I didn't want to paint the whole rim black. I really like black rims, but mostly I light coloured vehicles (I like the contrast). I found a post from another member who had painted their rims like this and I think it looks awesome. Ideally I would like to buy a set of Dick Cepek DC-2's, but I figured I would try a couple of cans of Plasti Dip first.

[​IMG]

I have some concerns about how well it adhered to the center caps, so I may have to do them first. I also tried to to the dimples on the face of the rims (which would have look great), but while pealing the excess one of them came off so I had to take them all off. The other thing I considered doing was continuing the black all the way to the edge, similar to the DC-2's.

Let me know what you think.

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trust me I am a believer and user in Plasti-Dip and many members have Plasti-Dipped their wheels, BUT in your case I would highly recommend you use Duplicolor wheel paint. Here is the reason why:

Plasti-Dip does well on most clean, smooth surfaces such as; plastic, all types of metal, and fiberglass. Keyword here is SMOOTH. I have used Plasti-Dip on wheels that had previous corrosion underneath, and even though I prepared it very well by sanding and what not, it still eventually starting peeling itself off.

I have no doubt in Plasti-Dip though over a clean smooth surface though, I have a bumper that is going on at least a year and a half Plasti-dipped that stills look great and hasn't peeled or flaked one bit.

Products Discussed in

To Top