Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Semi Plasti Dipped wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
RRDave is on a distinguished road
RRDave's Tacoma Gallery
Semi Plasti Dipped wheels

I've been struggling with the idea of painting my rims. I bought the truck used and recently the inside edge of the spokes have begun to pit pretty seriously and even flaked off in a couple of spots. The face of the rims are still in pretty good shape and I didn't want to paint the whole rim black. I really like black rims, but mostly I light coloured vehicles (I like the contrast). I found a post from another member who had painted their rims like this and I think it looks awesome. Ideally I would like to buy a set of Dick Cepek DC-2's, but I figured I would try a couple of cans of Plasti Dip first.

I have some concerns about how well it adhered to the center caps, so I may have to do them first. I also tried to to the dimples on the face of the rims (which would have look great), but while pealing the excess one of them came off so I had to take them all off. The other thing I considered doing was continuing the black all the way to the edge, similar to the DC-2's.

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Trust me I am a believer and user in Plasti-Dip and many members have Plasti-Dipped their wheels, BUT in your case I would highly recommend you use Duplicolor wheel paint. Here is the reason why:

Plasti-Dip does well on most clean, smooth surfaces such as; plastic, all types of metal, and fiberglass. Keyword here is SMOOTH. I have used Plasti-Dip on wheels that had previous corrosion underneath, and even though I prepared it very well by sanding and what not, it still eventually starting peeling itself off.

I have no doubt in Plasti-Dip though over a clean smooth surface though, I have a bumper that is going on at least a year and a half Plasti-dipped that stills look great and hasn't peeled or flaked one bit.