Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

So I got new shoes today (Micheline M/S 2 265/70/17) and need advice

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Steelers Fan is on a distinguished road
Steelers Fan's Tacoma Gallery
So I got new shoes today (Micheline M/S 2 265/70/17) and need advice

So after reading several reviews of these tires I decided they fit the bill for me. I had them installed today and noticed a huge difference than the stock Dunlop tires I replaced. The main difference is obvious the Micheline is a much nicer tire! But I also noticed they ride "rougher" or not as smooth as the stockers. As I drive 60 mph I notice the passenger seat vibrates slightly and getting up to speed seems more labored. I know this is probably a function of the increased size and the fact that
I have gone to a more aggressive tread. I did get them balanced and aligned. Any thoughts on smoothing it out a bit? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
You're describing two different symptoms by saying rough, and vibrations. If the ride is rough, the tire pressure is probably set too high. If you're getting vibrations, they need to be re-balanced. So if you're experiencing both, then both need to be checked obviously.

You bought just about the best mannered tire on the market, and the size you chose will not create a rough or shaky ride. I would take it back to the shop and have the pressure checked and balance re-done.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Toyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Toyanvil's Tacoma Gallery
Don't laugh, but check your air pressure. Sometimes the tire shops leave them high.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Good call, was thinking too much I guess will check pressure in the AM. The Vibrations are minor and will also have them rebalanced by local shop. Bought em at Sears and don't want to go back, but that's another story! Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Another quick question about alignment, does this sound reasonable after alignment?
Left:
Camber: 0.4
Caster: 1.9
Toe: .03

Right:
Camber: 0.2
Caster: 1.9
Toe: .04

Just want these babies to last a long time. Acceptable or take it back and have it redone?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
i had MS2s installed and its butter smooth. cant say enough good about how awesome these tires are. esp on the highway. the dealer put them on and had the air cranked up to 42PSI! i dropped them to 35 and its been much better. it was a really hard ride at 42, worse than the OE rubber.

there should be no vibrations, esp w these shoes... i would continue to align and balance. use a reputable shop.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
You're describing two different symptoms by saying rough, and vibrations. If the ride is rough, the tire pressure is probably set too high. If you're getting vibrations, they need to be re-balanced. So if you're experiencing both, then both need to be checked obviously.

You bought just about the best mannered tire on the market, and the size you chose will not create a rough or shaky ride. I would take it back to the shop and have the pressure checked and balance re-done.

This is GREAT advice. Many shops will over-inflate your tires. I like mine at 38 psi. I feel that is the perfect balance between a comfortable, smooth ride, but not too mushy, slightly firm. If you have any kind of shake, vibration, or shimmy it's almost certainly a balancing issue. Remember those that hammer those weights on are under pressure to get cars out of the bays real quick. I should know I used to work in a tire shop when I was a teenager. I can't tell you how many times we grabbed the wrong weights and hammered them on the wheel. Happened all too often. All it takes in one weight either not hammered on or the wrong weight. It's a simple mistake.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my work truck..the shop sent me bouncing down the road at 75-80psi. my TPMS lit up!!

i checked all my tires and i thought my gauge was broken. lowered it, and all was right. i dont know what the tech was thinking.

i would check the PSI for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Yep, great advice. I took it to local shop today and tires were not balanced correctly. I also deflated tires from 44, 44, 42, and 38 psi to 38 psi all the way around and it now drives exactly as I hoped it would. Great tires and great ride! Thanks guys.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers Fan View Post
Yep, great advice. I took it to local shop today and tires were not balanced correctly. I also deflated tires from 44, 44, 42, and 38 psi to 38 psi all the way around and it now drives exactly as I hoped it would. Great tires and great ride! Thanks guys.

See we never steer you wrong here on Tacoma World!