Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

spidertrax wear question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company
Name: Andrew
ikillterrorists's Tacoma Gallery
spidertrax wear question

I haven't had my spidertrax wheel adapters for long, but last time I think I torqued them down too much. I noticed metal shavings when I removed them, and the nuts have ground further into the wheel adapters themselves. I'm not sure how to explain this...basically the holes are a little deepr now. Will get a picture as soon as I can.
So is it okay/safe to still use them? Just torque them down even tighter?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Never overtorque them..that will just cause stress and fail. Torque to 70-85ftlbs i think it was and use loctite. No idea how you ground down into the aluminum..almost sounds like you stripped something.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Right that's what I'm afraid of...I have actually put them off and removed them a few times, and only this last time did I notice a lot of stripping. Guess a picture would help...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
I would not use damaged spacers. Ask spidertrax about them to be sure. In the mean time i would remove them. Better to be safe.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
You hit the nail on the head OP...looks like the conical/taper of the lug nut was torqued down too much/too many times & has compromised the spacer. I would definetly get new ones.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Torque wrench is your friend, live and learn.... better safe then sorry on this one. Good info for others running spacers.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikillterrorists View Post
Great there goes $200
Sorry but I would rather come off as a JERK then see you hurt...

With winter right on the door step folks have been changing tires & wheels at full speed AND I have seen 3-4 vehicles just this week sitting on the side of the highway missing one of their front tires; poor ba$tard in a Jeep had newer tires with SHINEY new wheels; left front was up about 100' in the ditch while the Jeep was leaning hard on what was left of a rotor/brake assembly....

My quick question to OP,Why do you remove the spacers that often ..

I just rotated my tires for the 1st time since installing my BORA spacers and only re-checked the torque on them,did not remove them...

Your pix show aluminum scraps so those are "Done", talk to Spider Trax and find a remedy before you spend more $$$ and PLEASE do not re-use them...that $200 is nothing compared to what will be spent on a wrecker and new parts...
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
to save you a few bucks, you can get "blemished" spacers from spidertrax for 10-15 bucks cheaper.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #12

Ok I emailed spidertrax, they said that I might have put on the lug nuts backwards. Not sure about that...haha. In any case they said definitely don't use them, but to send them back and let them see what they can do to get me new ones.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Are taking them on and off often? It is very important to tighten lug nuts down with a torque wrench to the proper torque. No guessing or using the impact wrench.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #14

I use the torque wrench. Last time either I forgot how many lbs to use and put on too much, or like the Spidertrax people said maybe I put the nuts on backwards?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikillterrorists View Post
I use the torque wrench. Last time either I forgot how many lbs to use and put on too much, or like the Spidertrax people said maybe I put the nuts on backwards?
How many time have you taken them off and on???
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Call them up and talk to them today. I bought mine second hand and they ok me up with a new spacer when 1 of the bolts busted. All I had to do was pay for shipping to get them my old 1 and they paid for the return shipping. They are really good guys over there and I would check with them.