Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Heston about stock tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
flygirl is on a distinguished road

flygirl's Tacoma Gallery
Heston about stock tires

I have a 2009 Tacoma that I bought with 6,000 miles on it....'certified' ....which means I have lifetime oil changes, lifetime battery, &. Supposedly...lifetime tires.
I have had the tires rotated every time I got an oil change. I now have 56,000 miles on it & when I mention it to the dealer , I'm told "not yet" . Well , I'm not feeling too safe just because I always thought that the stock tires on new cars are usually good for 20,000 miles. Has anyone had issues with certified trucks & do I need to start insisting regardless of how much tread is left. ?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
The salesman told you that " certified " means free tires, battery's, and oil changes ?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
whoa free tires? I want that lol
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Get it written out and a signature. P ray to god something happens and you break a bone. Then thank me
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

flygirl's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, that was the deal , I even have it in writing but with winter coming , I think I could use more tread on the tires.....
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like:
salesman-1
Flygirl-0

Alot of us by our trucks used certified or whatever but youd definitely be the first person to ever have free lifetime oilchanges and tires.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
Yes, that was the deal , I even have it in writing but with winter coming , I think I could use more tread on the tires.....
Id definitely find that paper ASAP
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

flygirl's Tacoma Gallery
C'mon guys, this can't be just a New England thing....Alot of dealerships up here offer lifetime oil changes.....like I said, I bought the truck back in '09' & have yet to pay for an oil change. You must be just messin'n around
Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
When I was looking around here in FL there were some dealerships that offered it. I didn't pay much attention because I figured it would only be valid at that particular dealer, and only for whatever crappy tires they want to put on.

You should be able to get more than 20k out of normal street tires though...measure the tread?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Don't count miles. Take a penny and a quarter and measure the tread depth yourself. See:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&currentpage=3

The dealer can refuse to replace the tires until the tread depth reachs 2/32", which is the minimum required to be street-legal in most states. Of course, the tires aren't necessarily safe at 2/32", especially in New England weather. If the dealer won't budge, try to negotiate a prorated cost based on remaining tread depth.

e.g. If the new tire has 16/32" of tread and your tires are worn down to 3/32", negotiate to pay 3/16 = 19% of the cost of new tires.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

flygirl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Don't count miles. Take a penny and a quarter and measure the tread depth yourself. See:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&currentpage=3

The dealer can refuse to replace the tires until the tread depth reachs 2/32", which is the minimum required to be street-legal in most states. Of course, the tires aren't necessarily safe at 2/32", especially in New England weather. If the dealer won't budge, try to negotiate a prorated cost based on remaining tread depth.

e.g. If the new tire has 16/32" of tread and your tires are worn down to 3/32", negotiate to pay 3/16 = 19% of the cost of new tires.

Exactly.....they won't replace them just because you might not be comfortable with them. They will do it once they are at the level of failing inspection. How much tread do you have left?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
C'mon guys, this can't be just a New England thing....Alot of dealerships up here offer lifetime oil changes.....like I said, I bought the truck back in '09' & have yet to pay for an oil change. You must be just messin'n around
Toyota dealer in Concord NH has this "Tire/Pm "program and a few folks have the same issues you speak of...tires are on till the very last minute..
NH does have strict inspection laws so the tires can not go dangerous BUT with winter alomst here,who wants 2-3/32 on them...

I like the idea of offering to "Upgrade" your tires at a "Shared" expense...See if they will price match any tire quotes you bring to them...their "buying" power SHOULD make them a little $$$ and you a HAPPY customer ....

Be safe this winter by being diligent with your dealer NOW....

Good luck....and keep us posted ...