1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Max psi ... inside the door or tire sidewall?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by a.s., Nov 6, 2012.

1. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    a.s.

a.s. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    Installed BF Goodrich T/A KO tires on my '07 Taco. The sticker in the door says to inflate to 29 psi but the sidewalls say 50psi max. My tire guys installed the tires at 28 psi and the truck drove like shit on the street. Gas milage was horrendous. I pumped them up to 45psi. Now they drive 100% better.

What's correct? I don't want to f up the tires!

2. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    inside the door pressure is intended to give a comfortable ride on stock tires.

If you value peformance of the tire more than a cushy ride, or go with an aftermarket tire or size, the pressure listed on the door is fairly useless.

your new tires will handle whatever is listed on the sidewall. though the max is going to be overkill, and cup the tread as they wear down.

3. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Do the chaulk test to determine the proper pressure for your tires. It will vary by vehicle and by tire.

4. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Too low or too high you will compromise traction, wear and braking distance. You will get better gas mileage over inflated because your tire will ballon in the center and thus you reduce rolling friction. Your goal with the chaulk test is to get even contact across the tread, increasing traction and creating even wearing (provided your alignment is within man. specs)

5. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Use the chalk test - but the number on the door is closer to right than the number on the sidewall. You'll get great MPGs by over inflating, but you'll give all that money back by wearing out the center of your tires too fast.

6. Nov 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    They use the door jab inflation numbers for liability reasons unless you specifically tell them otherwise.

I've found 38 PSI to be the perfect balance on most tires.

7. Nov 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    The door jamb psi numbers are for the P rated tires your truck came with. LT rated tires require more psi than P rated tires with everything else being equal (same size). So once you switch to LT tires, you can ignore the door jamb.

There seems to be a million different opinions out there for what air pressure is best for X size tire on X vehicle. I've done plenty of searching and found this guide from Toyo that makes selecting a good starting point much easier.

On this link, there's an inflation table link that will download the file in PDF format. Lots of reading if you want to understand better, but I'll break it down to basics.
    http://toyotires.com/tires-101/load-and-inflation-tables

1. Somewhere around page 14, you can start looking for the stock type/size tire that came with your vehicle. Check your door jamb for the recommended tire pressures, and find those pressures on the columns next to your tire size. It may not be exact, but you should be able to calculate what yours might be.

2. Take note of the load weight listed for your stock tire/pressure. Some are different for front and rear.

3. Keep scrolling down till you find your new tire size. Find the column with the closest load weight to your stock setup, then scroll up to see what psi matches it. Again, it won't be exact, but should be pretty close.

When I did this for my 285's, it said 35 psi would be about right. The chalk test proved that this was almost dead on. I ended up with 36 psi after chalking them. For the 255's I'll be putting on, it says 43 psi will be what I need. So I'll start around 45 psi and chalk it from there.

EDIT: The chart was right on again. Turns out my perfect psi is 42psi with the chalk test.

8. Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    To get the most longevity out of your tires....you want to make sure they are contacting the roadway EVENLY. Too little or too much tire pressure will cause your tires to wear prematurely.

29 is a bit too soft for me personally.... I run around 32psi. A happy medium between comfort, tire wear, & gas mileage.

Anything higher than that...my kidneys start rattling.

Products Discussed in

To Top