1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about wheel/tire size and driving in snow...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by edavidso, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    edavidso

edavidso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1997 SR5 3.4L 4x4 & 2011 TRD OR DC SB 6Spd 4x
    3" Toytec Lift, Smitty Roll Bar, Push Bar, Nerf Bars, 7 KC 150W, Viper alarm w/ Remote Start, Pioneer CD/MP3, 6 disc changer, Infiniti Speakers, Rhino Lining.
    Hey so I'm in the process of getting new shoes for the taco, and have heard some things about rim and tires sizes and wanted some opinions. So I have heard that larger rims, paired with a larger tire with smaller sidewall are worse in snow and off road conditions. Basically I am looking into getting a 18" wheel with a 285/65/18 tire...I live in Colorado so snow is a definate, and I do a bit of moderate off roading, however I do like the look of the larger wheel. So is there any truth to this theory? Should I go with a 17" wheel and tire to match or is there any difference?

Thanks!!

2. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't see how a tire with a smaller sidewall would affect snow performance. Generally speaking though, skinnier (less wide) tires before better in the snow.

3. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    TacomaIan

TacomaIan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Canadian Limted
    I can't see you having any issue as long as you don't hit a rim against something Offroad which could be easier with a bigger rim. I'm up in Alberta and will probably run a set of 18's next on my 2012. The main thing is a quality all season/terrain tire with sipes. Don't run a mud tire in the winter.

Products Discussed in

To Top