Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #41
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
What air pressure are you guys running these at?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #42
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
I run 38 psi on the highway, 18-20 psi on most trail and as low as 15 in sand and more extreme rocks.

Thought I'd update on these tires since I started the thread over a year ago. As a reminder, I installed LT285/75R16E to gain some sidewall flex on rocky trails. The tread on these tires is best described as a crossover from AT to MT. It has always been my opinion that the great majority of those running MT tires are running them for their looks and don't need the tiny bit of extra mud traction they offer. In fact, I am quite confident that running an MT is a sacrifice in most conditions compared to running a tire like the ST Maxx which offers siping and is stud-ready.

I've had them on my FJ now for about 14 months and maybe 15K miles. These 14 months included trips to:
Kentucky for wheeling and camping in March
Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana in March
Cruise Moab in Utah in May
Pre Summit in Moab, Utah in July
FJ Summit in Ouray in July
The Outlaws run from Bear Lake, Idaho to Kaycee, Wyoming in October
Canyonlands / The Maze Utah in November

In all conditions from a few inches of mud and slop to the sand of White Wash Sand Dunes to the sharp rocks around Ouray to the slickrock of Moab, these tires excelled. They performed as well or better than my Terra Grapplers and all other tires on the trails including MTs. On one occasion I drove right through a muddy ditch and up a bank that left Nitto Trail Grapplers fighting for their life. By switching to 16" wheels and going with 75 aspect ratio, I gained tire height/sidewall which really helped soften the trails which was especially noticeable on the numerous washboards of Wyoming and during the bombing of rocky trails in the Maze. On the highway, they are quiet with just a touch more highway noise than my Terra Grapplers (which were almost silent on the highway).

The one drawback in comparison to some other tires is that these are only available in E-rated versions which are kind of heavy if you are used to P, C or D rated tires.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #43
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Right on brother good to hear they are trail worthy as well. Im gonna get em in the pizza cutter size as soon as my terra grapplers wear out
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #44
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, watch for Discount Tire Direct sales. I snagged $100 off a set of wheels and $100 off the tires in addition to their normal free shipping.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #45
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
I run 38 psi on the highway, 18-20 psi on most trail and as low as 15 in sand and more extreme rocks.

Thought I'd update on these tires since I started the thread over a year ago. As a reminder, I installed LT285/75R16E to gain some sidewall flex on rocky trails. The tread on these tires is best described as a crossover from AT to MT. It has always been my opinion that the great majority of those running MT tires are running them for their looks and don't need the tiny bit of extra mud traction they offer. In fact, I am quite confident that running an MT is a sacrifice in most conditions compared to running a tire like the ST Maxx which offers siping and is stud-ready.

I've had them on my FJ now for about 14 months and maybe 15K miles. These 14 months included trips to:
Kentucky for wheeling and camping in March
Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana in March
Cruise Moab in Utah in May
Pre Summit in Moab, Utah in July
FJ Summit in Ouray in July
The Outlaws run from Bear Lake, Idaho to Kaycee, Wyoming in October
Canyonlands / The Maze Utah in November

In all conditions from a few inches of mud and slop to the sand of White Wash Sand Dunes to the sharp rocks around Ouray to the slickrock of Moab, these tires excelled. They performed as well or better than my Terra Grapplers and all other tires on the trails including MTs. On one occasion I drove right through a muddy ditch and up a bank that left Nitto Trail Grapplers fighting for their life. By switching to 16" wheels and going with 75 aspect ratio, I gained tire height/sidewall which really helped soften the trails which was especially noticeable on the numerous washboards of Wyoming and during the bombing of rocky trails in the Maze. On the highway, they are quiet with just a touch more highway noise than my Terra Grapplers (which were almost silent on the highway).

The one drawback in comparison to some other tires is that these are only available in E-rated versions which are kind of heavy if you are used to P, C or D rated tires.
I'm coming from Terra Grapplers in 305/60r18 to the Maxx in 285/75r16. Haven't had a chance to really test them in anything thing significant yet. At the moment I'm running them at 35psi front / 33psi rear. So far it seems like anything higher, and the tread isn't flat across the ground.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
I'm coming from Terra Grapplers in 305/60r18 to the Maxx in 285/75r16. Haven't had a chance to really test them in anything thing significant yet. At the moment I'm running them at 35psi front / 33psi rear. So far it seems like anything higher, and the tread isn't flat across the ground.
I would say your 33-35 psi would actually be a better all-around range. As you can see by my list of trips last year, most of the mileage is interstate so that 38 psi is partly to help fuel mileage . . . but in addition, my FJ with camping gear, fridge and my ass in it is way up there on weight compared to the back of your truck.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #47
Ratio
BYJOSHCOOK has a spectacular aura aboutBYJOSHCOOK has a spectacular aura about

Name: Josh
BYJOSHCOOK's Tacoma Gallery
Very good looking tires! I'm in the market for some new tires and this post has got me looking at the ST Maxx. I'm torn between the Duratracs and these for right now. Anybody have had both and which one is better?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYJOSHCOOK View Post
Very good looking tires! I'm in the market for some new tires and this post has got me looking at the ST Maxx. I'm torn between the Duratracs and these for right now. Anybody have had both and which one is better?
Read through some of the earlier posts and you will find what you are looking for.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #49
Ratio
BYJOSHCOOK has a spectacular aura aboutBYJOSHCOOK has a spectacular aura about

Name: Josh
BYJOSHCOOK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
Read through some of the earlier posts and you will find what you are looking for.
I saw one post that was comparing the two just wanted to see if anybody else had some input.

I think you have made me reconsider what tires I'm getting
Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #50
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs are great except if you play in rocks soft sidewalls I've seen them fail several times seems like the st maxx are looking better and better !! Hand for updating this this buddy I appreciate it... How was there "stickyness" on the rocks at Moab compared to others
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #51
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
Duratracs are great except if you play in rocks soft sidewalls I've seen them fail several times seems like the st maxx are looking better and better !! Hand for updating this this buddy I appreciate it... How was there "stickyness" on the rocks at Moab compared to others

This is what I am worried about with Duratracs. Have any of you guys experienced any sideway punctures with ST Maxx tires?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #53

These tires are amazing in the snow.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #55
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
what size are you running 285-65-18? how are they in mud? do you have experience with true m/t tires to compare them too? the nittos are great but did not clean out well in mud...i cant sacrifice the ability to pull through nasty mud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBeast View Post
my ST MAXX in 18's have been rotated every 5k and have been thru trails, long term highway trips, mud, ice and rocks....

when I tell you they still look new I mean still look new!!! love em!

I had terra grapplers prior and I did like them but these are awesome. Duratracs suck... not as tough
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #56
Red Sox Nation
Delrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelrivpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Lcdr, retired
Name: Jonathan
Delrivpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoc View Post
Like em, but decided to get the Duratracs instead a few days ago from Discount Tire. Why? The Coopers are a load E so too heavy, can't remember off top of my head but about 60lbs each?, the Duratracs in a load C are 45lbs. Big difference. Obviously the Coopers are stronger but the effects on mpgs outweigh that to me.
I love the look of the Coopers, but the E load was what changed my mind. Getting the Duratracs on tomorrow. I have Mastercraft Courser on right now and not liking the way they handle in winter. Good luck with them!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoc View Post
Like em, but decided to get the Duratracs instead a few days ago from Discount Tire. Why? The Coopers are a load E so too heavy, can't remember off top of my head but about 60lbs each?, the Duratracs in a load C are 45lbs. Big difference. Obviously the Coopers are stronger but the effects on mpgs outweigh that to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrivpilot View Post
I love the look of the Coopers, but the E load was what changed my mind. Getting the Duratracs on tomorrow. I have Mastercraft Courser on right now and not liking the way they handle in winter. Good luck with them!
60lbs doesn't seem bad for the size and type of tire it is. I looked at the Trail Grapplers, and they are 70lbs, Both the S/T Maxx and Trail Grapplers are both supposed to be a hybrid AT/MT. I had also looked at the Falken Wild Peaks AT, and those were 60lbs. I was originally going to go with another set of Terra Grapplers, which are 54lbs (D-rated) each.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #58
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
So I got myself some new shoes for my ride. My 285/75R16 Fierce Attitudes were really worn out and it was time for a change. I picked up a set of 255/85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx. I really like these, a very aggressive AT but not as aggressive as an MT. Plus they are made on the STT carcass so they are very tough. Tomorrow I get my alignment done.

So far just driving around today I really like them. The truck is smoother and quieter already.

I will give you an off road report next week when we take them and the truck up to Sedona and run Broken Arrow.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #59
I have whittled my tire selection down to two, these and Duratracs, really leaning towards these. I called two national chains that carry Cooper tires and both said they couldn't get them?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #60
I have yet to read a bad review on these tires!