1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by The Woodsman, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Good call. If the sidewalls are super stiff then yeah, you're right, they would need less PSI. I know the BFGs Load E are really really stiff.

2. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Ok, I take this statement back. So what I thought was loud tire noise has actually turned into failure of my 3rd member. So the tires are quite, my rear diff on the other hand is louder than my supercharger now. It started at just the 55mph range but has spread to 15mph and up under acceleration/deceleration load. I am trying to get toyota to cover it since they were in my diff 4 months ago and if they didn't set the pinion crush seal tension correctly (or didn't replace the crush seal at all) it could cause the exact failure I am having.

3. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I know there is a TSB for the rear diff. I don't know if it covers what you're experiencing.

4. Mar 2, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    No, the TSB is for noise. Mine is definitely bad. It didn't make this noise before.

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I love my Maxxs. They perform better than the Firestone destination at's ever did. Ice, rain, snow, hard packed snow, dirt, rocks, and mud were much of a problem for them, within reason. Aired down, they provided good performance off road. They have good street performance, as well.
    I will be buying these again, when these wear out.
    Best price and availability I found was at Sears.

6. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    mistaare

mistaare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Skytower, just curious, what tire are u coming from? A MT or an AT? I can't wait to get mine and try them out!

7. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    I've looked at on line reviews of these at a lot of tire retailer sites.
    Mostly, they get great reviews, but it seems like every 5th or 6th one complains of loose, wobbly, slopping handling due to too much sidewall flex.
    I don't see any of that sort of talk here...

You guys all still love these?

8. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I went from 305/60-18 Terra Grapplers to 285/75-16 Maxx.

I would say handling feels the same to me. I still take corners the same as I did with the 18's. Truck doesn't feel wobbly or loose with these tires. I do feel like I wander on the highway a little bit, but not bad. Maybe I need my alignment checked. :notsure:

9. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    sometimes, wandering can be a result of wider tires on an axle+tire width that doesn't match the "u-grooves" worn into the road bed....

10. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Alan - did the EXACT same thing. Read a TON of reviews, between forums, tire retailers etc. literally for 2-3 months. I only came across 2-3 complaints TOTAL. The few that talked about soft side walls, seemed to me, be the f-250, 2500, dually crowd. Then I looked for how much air pressure they ran, or how many miles they drove before complaining (which is usually less than 500). Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I am pretty certain that I haven't read any soft sidewall issues with the taco crowd.

11. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    I noticed that same thing about the negative reviews: bigger trucks, maybe not running the right air pressure...like that.

Nice to have a vehicle specific forum where "it's all guys/vehicles pretty much like yours" to ask these q's in :D

12. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Usually the bad reviews came from Dodge diesel drivers, probably because they didn't know how to properly inflate LT tires. Then there was one or two bad reviews from people who sounded like they couldn't drive.

13. Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    My 2013 DCSB is gonna be a very mild build; and be a street truck probably 95% of the year, and run stuff like Alpine Loop in CO for vacation twice a year.
    So, I've had and liked the BFG AT's for this use.

I could deal with "a little more road noise," but not a lot.
    I've had BFG and Goodyear MT's and MTR's, and I'd hardly call those quiet to start with, and they don't "wear well," in that they get louder as they wear.

These would have to be much closer to the BFG AT KO road noise level for the extra trail worthiness to really be worth it to me.

14. Mar 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Ordered mine tonight. Can't wait to get them installed

15. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    mistaare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    Well ordered them from discount tire direct Tues eve, got off the phone at 5.45. They were delivered by 2.00 wednesday after noon :eek:

So I went to put them on only find ALL FOUR WHEELS WERE SIEZED on! I just had the wheels rotated 1500 miles ago and they were ALL seized on. Three of them I could only break loose by finger tightening two or three lugs and driving over the bump in my driveway (of course after drenching them with wd40), The fourth one I gave up on. Tried beating with a rubber mallet, using high jack with wheel attachment to jack truck up with finger tight lugs, driving over bump in driveway with finger tight lugs and actually driving up and down the street with finger tight lugs NOTHING worked.

when the three level 8 Trackers (265/75) were on the truck they looked GREAT!

any suggestions to get the last wheel off let me know!

16. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Is it freezing where you are? When I went to take the old wheels off, it was 15 degrees. I had to use a sledgehammer to get the rear wheels off.

17. Mar 27, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    1) those centering rings on discs and drums make for a tight fit eh?
    2) dis-similar metals can interact badly, sort of fusing the wheels on. I smear a healthy dose of anti seize on the disc and drum to help with this.
    3) as to getting it off; if you have a bottle jack, and a 4x4 the right length, place the bottle jack against the frame opposite the wheel, and the 4x4 against the wheel, and apply pressure.

18. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Firestone destination AT.

A deadblow hammer to the inside of the rim will remove the wheel. Feel free to wail, you won't hurt it. DO NOT use a regular hammer, it will mangle the rim. Also, keep one lug on loosly, while using the deadblow, and use jack stands.

19. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    i like the Cooper ST/Maxx for the fact they come in 255/80R17 size in addition to their offroad performance specs. Will likely be my next tire of choice to increase from stock size (30.7") to 33"

20. Mar 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Back the lugs off a little more than finger tight and go drive around some corners. Mine were really welded on there too. I loosened the Lugs did a tour around the block and it worked like a charm. Just keep the breaker bar handy to tighten them up once it comes free to drive back to the garage.

I like this idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top