LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires

These tires were given a very good review in the latest issue of 4wd Toyota Owner. I had already decided to purchase them but the article reinforced my decision and, coincidentally, I ordered them the same day I received the magazine.

These are Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT285/75R16E tires installed on 16" x 8.5" wide Level 8 Guardian wheel. This will be the same size combo as on the white Discount Tire FJ. The wheels look great and the tires look to be a great "in-between" for those wanting something more aggressive than the typical AT and less aggressive than the typical MT tire. I think they will become very popular. I have no input yet on noise, smoothness, balance, handling or affect on mileage since they aren't installed yet.

Tread compared to my old Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/70R17E tires. The St Maxx are much more aggressive. The height of the Coopers will settle down once I lower the pressure and get the FJ's weight on them.

Here are some more pics after installation.

For reference,
- the old wheels were 17 x 9 American Racing 4 1/2" BS with -12 offset
+ new wheels are 16 x 8.5" 4 1/2" BS with -6 offset
- the old tires were Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/70R17E
+ new tires are Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT285/75R16E

Driver's side before

Driver's side after

Front view before

Front view after

Rear view before

Rear view after

Passenger side before

Passenger side after

Front and rear fender edge to tire edge remained very similar

Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Looking great! Report back after a few miles with a review and I'll add this to the TW Tire Review thread.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
taczilla is on a distinguished road

Name: Marc
taczilla's Tacoma Gallery
Are you expecting total Earth devastation with no navigatable roads available?

I live in Canada, and in the boonies, and my Cooper AT3's work just great!

... even through snow, slush, ice, mud, and even sunny pavement!

You guys are insane!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I had regular Cooper STs in 285/70R17 on my old Dodge diesel. I tortured those tires, and they chunked out a little, but that was a heavy truck(7500#), and I wheeled the crap out of it. I thought they did pretty good as an in-between tire and I almost bought them for the taco, but I couldnt pass up the deal I got on my Toyos. Looking forward to see how they do for you.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant futureOowen has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running those tires (235/85/16) for a while now. They perform awesome in mud, super quiet on pavement, but snow and ice they are terrible. I've seen a dodge truck with bfg ats go up an icy hill which I couldn't even make it up.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
subd. i like the idea of more aggressive than an A/T but less aggressive than a mudder so im curious to see how you like these
Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taczilla View Post
Are you expecting total Earth devastation with no navigatable roads available?

I live in Canada, and in the boonies, and my Cooper AT3's work just great!

... even through snow, slush, ice, mud, and even sunny pavement!

You guys are insane!

I understand what you are saying. I was once on a trip with my Nitto Terra Grapplers where I was the only one to not get stuck and everyone else was riding on BFG KM2 and BFG KO. These are a little more aggressive in-person than they appeared on-screen. However, I think they are reasonable and yet still quiet. I do most of my wheeling in Colorado and Utah so every trip is includes over 1200 miles of getting there and getting back on highways. Personally, I would never go full MT tread unless someone could guarantee they would be quiet and not affect my mileage.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Nice tire I was always debating between those tire and the Duratrac's has anyone had both and would like to tell me what they think about them?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
Good Job!
Me Taco Too Much is on a distinguished road

Navy: VF-51 Hydraulics
Name: Dennis
Me Taco Too Much's Tacoma Gallery
I think I found me a nice, new, inexpensive tire...
Thanks for your show and tell. FJ looks nice.

Here is a tire review
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Taco Too Much View Post
I think I found me a nice, new, inexpensive tire...
Thanks for your show and tell. FJ looks nice.

Here is a tire review
Thanks for the link.

I haven't had them on the trail yet but they feel great on the road. They ride smooth and quiet even at interstate speeds (though a tiny bit more noise than my Terra Grapplers) and track well. Each tire wheel combo weighed about eight pounds more than what they replaced but not sure how much of that was the wheel vs the tire). I think I lost about 1 mpg over the Nitto setup but the look is great and the slightly taller rubber should help on rough trails too.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Señor Fresco
DannyBFresco is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
DannyBFresco's Tacoma Gallery
any testing in the snow/ice by chance? i'm really digging these tires
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBFresco View Post
any testing in the snow/ice by chance? i'm really digging these tires
Sorry but no. The only snow or ice we've had so far has been during the holidays . . . and I was up in British Columbia skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling during that timeframe.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Walker is on a distinguished road
Name: Walker
Walker's Tacoma Gallery
I have these tires also, they are really quiet on the highway, have good traction in the mud and dirt, and I drive these tires year round and have had no problems on the snow packed roads or on ice.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
Marcoc has a spectacular aura aboutMarcoc has a spectacular aura about

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Like em, but decided to get the Duratracs instead a few days ago from Discount Tire. Why? The Coopers are a load E so too heavy, can't remember off top of my head but about 60lbs each?, the Duratracs in a load C are 45lbs. Big difference. Obviously the Coopers are stronger but the effects on mpgs outweigh that to me.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Señor Fresco
DannyBFresco is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
DannyBFresco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have these tires also, they are really quiet on the highway, have good traction in the mud and dirt, and I drive these tires year round and have had no problems on the snow packed roads or on ice.
That's really good to hear. I've been hearing mixed reviews for snow and ice and since I go snowboarding a lot, it's pretty important for me. What size do you run?