Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Swapping Wheels/Tires/TPMS - Best Way To Resell OEM Setup

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping Wheels/Tires/TPMS - Best Way To Resell OEM Setup

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section, but I'm not 100% sure which section (if any) would be more appropriate.

I should be receiving my new wheels tomorrow (fingers crossed they're the correct color - I ordered the black TRD beadlocks) and plan to pick up a new set of tires soon to replace the OEM wheels on my '13 TRD OR.

Since I will be running new wheels and tires, I will be taking out the TPMS sensors out of my stock wheels and placing them in the new setup. Since I will be using Toyota alloys, my TPMS sensors shoudl mount without any issue.

The question I have is when I am reselling the stock wheels, what is the best route to go. Do I spend the $20/wheel to have the tires remounted so I can sell them as bolt on (without TPMS sensors), or do I leave the tires off the wheels so the new owner can place their sensors in and be done with it?

I guess what I'm unsure about is the easiest way to sell the setup. I'm not really looking to sell the wheels/tires separate (especially as I feel I'll end up having a much more difficult time selling just the tires if I were to move the wheels first), although my inner hoarder wants to keep the TRD OR wheels because although I'm not wild about them I do like them.

I just don't know what route is the easiest to go. I don't want to necessarily spend $80 to have the tires remounted to not recoup. If TPMS sensors + recalibration were reasonable, that's one thing, but it's not comparably.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm just trying to recoup a little cash so that I can hopefully put in a sunroof in the (not to distant) future.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
You'll have a easier chance of selling the wheel/tire combo if the tires were already mounted. Ask your tire shop to make you a deal. Most are willing to offer a little discount if you buy tires from them.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody wants stock Tacoma wheels. And if you find the rare person that wants them, they will offer you next to nothing for them. Look how many people want to get rid of their stock wheels.
Just sell the tires. Discount Tire will give you $200- $300 for the 4 dunlops in brand new condition. I got $250 credit when I had my tires and wheels installed there.
It might be years before someone makes you an offer on the complete set, or you can get the for sure cash on the tires right now. It is up to you on how much time & trouble you want to go through, not to mention storage space.

Good Luck
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
abcdleines is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
abcdleines's Tacoma Gallery
When you say stock wheels, do you mean steel stock or alloy stock? A couple things, steel wheels are harder to sell but will at a cheap price. Steel sensors will not work on alloy wheels. I sold my new stock steel set with the TPMS on Craigslist for $400.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
I will be selling the stock TRD OR / now optional (apparently) alloys, not the steel wheels.

We don't have Discount Tire up in the Northeast. I'm assuming I'll have maybe 1,000 miles on the set by the time I get the new tires.

I'm obviously going to try Craigslist to sell them (I sold the stock tires off my old '93 Xtracab in a day), but I was just trying to figure out if it's worth the $80 to have the set remounted w/o the TPMS versus selling them apart.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the stockers to put back on the truck when you trade it in or sell it. Then sell the aftermarket wheels, or keep them for your next Tacoma.