1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swapping Wheels/Tires/TPMS - Best Way To Resell OEM Setup

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MikeyMcFly, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Nov 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly [OP] This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Hi all,

I apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section, but I'm not 100% sure which section (if any) would be more appropriate.

I should be receiving my new wheels tomorrow (fingers crossed they're the correct color - I ordered the black TRD beadlocks) and plan to pick up a new set of tires soon to replace the OEM wheels on my '13 TRD OR.

Since I will be running new wheels and tires, I will be taking out the TPMS sensors out of my stock wheels and placing them in the new setup. Since I will be using Toyota alloys, my TPMS sensors shoudl mount without any issue.

The question I have is when I am reselling the stock wheels, what is the best route to go. Do I spend the $20/wheel to have the tires remounted so I can sell them as bolt on (without TPMS sensors), or do I leave the tires off the wheels so the new owner can place their sensors in and be done with it?

I guess what I'm unsure about is the easiest way to sell the setup. I'm not really looking to sell the wheels/tires separate (especially as I feel I'll end up having a much more difficult time selling just the tires if I were to move the wheels first), although my inner hoarder wants to keep the TRD OR wheels because although I'm not wild about them I do like them.

I just don't know what route is the easiest to go. I don't want to necessarily spend $80 to have the tires remounted to not recoup. If TPMS sensors + recalibration were reasonable, that's one thing, but it's not comparably.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm just trying to recoup a little cash so that I can hopefully put in a sunroof in the (not to distant) future.

Thanks!

2. Nov 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    You'll have a easier chance of selling the wheel/tire combo if the tires were already mounted. Ask your tire shop to make you a deal. Most are willing to offer a little discount if you buy tires from them.

3. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    Nobody wants stock Tacoma wheels. And if you find the rare person that wants them, they will offer you next to nothing for them. Look how many people want to get rid of their stock wheels.
    Just sell the tires. Discount Tire will give you $200- $300 for the 4 dunlops in brand new condition. I got $250 credit when I had my tires and wheels installed there.
    It might be years before someone makes you an offer on the complete set, or you can get the for sure cash on the tires right now. It is up to you on how much time & trouble you want to go through, not to mention storage space.

Good Luck

4. Nov 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    abcdleines

abcdleines Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Super White, Two tone black and grey leather, AVS hood protector, AVS in channel window visors. Leer 180 cap. New TRD exhaust, TRD 17" wheels.
    When you say stock wheels, do you mean steel stock or alloy stock? A couple things, steel wheels are harder to sell but will at a cheap price. Steel sensors will not work on alloy wheels. I sold my new stock steel set with the TPMS on Craigslist for $400.

5. Nov 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly [OP] This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I will be selling the stock TRD OR / now optional (apparently) alloys, not the steel wheels.

We don't have Discount Tire up in the Northeast. I'm assuming I'll have maybe 1,000 miles on the set by the time I get the new tires.

I'm obviously going to try Craigslist to sell them (I sold the stock tires off my old '93 Xtracab in a day), but I was just trying to figure out if it's worth the $80 to have the set remounted w/o the TPMS versus selling them apart.

6. Nov 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Keep the stockers to put back on the truck when you trade it in or sell it. Then sell the aftermarket wheels, or keep them for your next Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top