Notices

General Grabber AT2's vs Firestone Destination A/t

View Poll Results: General Grabber AT2's vs Firestone Destination A/T
General Grabber AT2's 376 62.35%
Firestone Destination A/T 227 37.65%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #21
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
I've tried to decide between those two tires before and settled on the Generals since the sections that they got lower marks in at tire rack are actually good in my world! I like a noisier tire, and prefer a rougher ride. I haven't bought them yet because I can't afford them, but I will when I need new tires.
Charli go with the bridgestone A/T revos or the
Destination A/Ts you will much happier
trust me
Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 AM   #23
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Had the firestones on my old Xterra -- looked great and performed well...
great tire but if you can swing it the revos are the way to go
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #24
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
^^
naw... will be going back to Cooper when the time comes again...
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #25
223sniper is on a distinguished road
223sniper's Tacoma Gallery
How about BFG AT?

I was looking at putting on the Generals, Firestones or Goodyear products you mention. A friend of mine pointed me towards the BFG AT's in load range D. He is a forester and said a lot of the guys who pound the dirt roads here in Maine swear by them. After seeing the squarer sides on the tread design, I'm giving these a harder look. I've had the Generals on my F250 and later on the CK1500. They wore like iron and I liked the stiff ride. My fear on putting them on my Xtracab 4x4 was that they would be too stiff for a lighter truck. BTW, I agree with taking Consumer Reports advice with a hefty grain of salt. They tend to give short shrift to anything remotely redneck.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #26
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler and General At2 too...
I am looking to change them when dec comes around... I saw the General is dirt cheap and has been performaning very well and so does the Nitto... but the Nitto seems hard to find... dealers are limited down here in south jersey.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #27
BioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant future
BioMed80's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, the Generals ride fine on my regular cab, and I love them. They're all good tires, it all depends on your preferences. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223sniper View Post
I was looking at putting on the Generals, Firestones or Goodyear products you mention. A friend of mine pointed me towards the BFG AT's in load range D. He is a forester and said a lot of the guys who pound the dirt roads here in Maine swear by them. After seeing the squarer sides on the tread design, I'm giving these a harder look. I've had the Generals on my F250 and later on the CK1500. They wore like iron and I liked the stiff ride. My fear on putting them on my Xtracab 4x4 was that they would be too stiff for a lighter truck. BTW, I agree with taking Consumer Reports advice with a hefty grain of salt. They tend to give short shrift to anything remotely redneck.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #28
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I liked the Grabbers that my friend had on his dodge ram, but I have had my Destination A/Ts for 38,000 miles on two different trucks (moved tires from old truck to new truck). They have been by far the best all-terrain tires I have ever owned.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #29
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great poll. The next set of tires I was plan on getting was the General. But after browsing through different threads, I am leaning toward the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos I have thousands of miles to go on my BFGoodrich, gives me time to look into more tires.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #31
freesample will become famous soon enoughfreesample will become famous soon enough

freesample's Tacoma Gallery
are the destinations ats good in snow compared to a strictly winter tire?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #32
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesample View Post
are the destinations ats good in snow compared to a strictly winter tire?
Nothing beats a strictly winter tire on snow, snowpack, or ice. However, my Destination ATs have done excellent on snowy or icy roads in Colorado, New Mexico, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Their winter traction was one of the biggest reasons for my purchase.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
freesample will become famous soon enoughfreesample will become famous soon enough

freesample's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok kool..

i find the destinations have similar looking tread as the wrangler rts..and i found the rts to be very shittay in the snow
Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #34
TW Addict
Y0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to all

Army: (01/2006-07/2009)B 2-44 ADA 101st Airbone Air Assault Division
Name: Zac
Y0TA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Y0TA
i was very surprised with the destinations off road too. i took my swampers off and put the desti on due to tread running out. i thought i would have a tough time but i did well, even had to pull some one out of the mud. they caked up a bit, but just had to keep them spinning.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #35
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesample View Post
oh ok kool..

i find the destinations have similar looking tread as the wrangler rts..and i found the rts to be very shittay in the snow
The Wranglers use a different rubber composition (harder) and they do not use keyhole tread design. If you go Wrangler, the Silent Armors are pretty much the only good option, and they are great tires too.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #36
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I had the FS Destinations on my Tacoma when I bought it. They were an excellent all terrain tire. They were well mannered and performed very well both on and off road through all seasons. I replaced them with BFG AT KOs when I lifted the truck and IMO, for the price, the Firestones were a much better buy.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #37
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
I never posted my result...i ended up going with the Firestone's. Great tire. awesome traction in the rain. good for cornering. no slipping when pulling my boat out of the boat ramps. I'm happy with them and will buy again
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
machman is on a distinguished road

Navy: MR2
machman's Tacoma Gallery
It is a little confusing because there are two different Destination ATs on TireRack. It seems that the higher load rating ones will have stiffer sidewalls, ride a little rougher and be a little heavier tire.

Which ones are everyone happy with? Either one?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #39
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
the destination at2's
Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
machman is on a distinguished road

Navy: MR2
machman's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Rack listed two Destination A/T:

This one which has 15/32 tread depth and weights 45 lbs:
Serv. Desc:
117/114RLoad Index 117 = 2892lbs (1315kg) per tire