Notices

General Grabber AT2's vs Firestone Destination A/t

View Poll Results: General Grabber AT2's vs Firestone Destination A/T
General Grabber AT2's 376 62.25%
Firestone Destination A/T 228 37.75%
Voters: 604. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
General Grabber AT2's vs Firestone Destination A/t

i've narrowed down my choices to 2. The firestones seem to have a little better benchmarks and possibly a little cheaper. But alot of here have suggested the Generals. They look almost the same to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
ive had the GY silent armour, bfg a/t, and the fs a/t. firestone a/t def. exceeded my expectations, best tires ive owned for the money on road or off
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do a side by side comparison on Tire Rack where you filter it down to just these tires? That helps a lot and let you see the specs. My local tire guy compares the Generals to BFG KOs & when I saw them in person side by side they did look the same. Also Tire Rack prices show the Generals less expensive. Maybe locally its not that way.

The Destinations are a nice tire & I almost got them when I bought my Silent Armors. I wasn't looking for as beefy a tire as the General or BFG since my application was different.

I dunno, guess the poll will help ya. good luck with the purchase.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
this should help your choice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Firestone Dest AT in a heartbeat over General's.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Superhero
live4swell is on a distinguished road

live4swell's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Firestone Destination A/T's right now and so far so good. I had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos before these which were GREAT tires. I read a lot of great things about the Destinations and they were cheaper than the Revos so went with them this time around. I don't know anything about the General Grabbers. Here is a picture of Consumer Reports reviews of tires, it might be a year or two old but probably still applies. Hope it helps.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4swell View Post
I have the Firestone Destination A/T's right now and so far so good. I had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos before these which were GREAT tires. I read a lot of great things about the Destinations and they were cheaper than the Revos so went with them this time around. I don't know anything about the General Grabbers. Here is a picture of Consumer Reports reviews of tires, it might be a year or two old but probably still applies. Hope it helps.

ive learned not to trust what consumer reports says about anything, ive followed their judgment many times and made me look like an ass. so ive decided the best way to decide what you like is more like a trial and error round.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Superhero
live4swell is on a distinguished road

live4swell's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, I usually use it as a baseline then search the forums high and low for member reviews. Personally I would choose between Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bridgstone Dueler Revos and Firestone Destination A/T. Coincidentally they all got decent reviews from Consumers and reviews I have read online. But I would not soley trust them.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4swell View Post
I agree, I usually use it as a baseline then search the forums high and low for member reviews. Personally I would choose between Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bridgstone Dueler Revos and Firestone Destination A/T. Coincidentally they all got decent reviews from Consumers and reviews I have read online. But I would not soley trust them.
Out of those three,I'd go Revos.
I would have went with the Revos but I couldn't get them is a 265/65R17 from Tire Rack and wanted to stay stock.
So I went with my second choice,the Silent Armors and like 'em.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You already know my choice.

The Destinations typically go back forth between #1 and #2 on TireRack and they're at #2 right now:

BTW, check with your local Firestone dealer. I got my best price there, $504 installed for P265/75/16.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post

The Destinations typically go back forth between #1 and #2 on TireRack and they're at #2 right now:

BTW, check with your local Firestone dealer. I got my best price there, $504 installed for P265/75/16.
Awesome deal. Was there a special going on?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post

that does sound like a great deal
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there was a special, at least I don't remember them saying so. I basically just called a bunch of local places and Firestone beat them.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
i ahve the generals.

their great and wear down slowly
Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 AM   #15
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkhi View Post
i have the generals.

their great and wear down slowly
Yes they are. Thanks,that's good to hear.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #16
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
ive learned not to trust what consumer reports says about anything, ive followed their judgment many times and made me look like an ass. so ive decided the best way to decide what you like is more like a trial and error round.
or you could just call your local tire guy
Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 AM   #17
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried to decide between those two tires before and settled on the Generals since the sections that they got lower marks in at tire rack are actually good in my world! I like a noisier tire, and prefer a rougher ride. I haven't bought them yet because I can't afford them, but I will when I need new tires.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #19
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
3K on my generals and they are only slightly louder than new. they seem to work well in the snow and mud. price was fantastic as well. my buddy just got the destinations per my suggestions and they look a lot better in person than online imo. cant go wrong with either imo.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #20
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Had the firestones on my old Xterra -- looked great and performed well...