1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel spacers necessary w/ 285/75/16???

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bubba31, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nov 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Bubba31

Bubba31 [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Blue 06 DCLB SR5
    I just got a full OME lift from Wheeler"s Off-Road, medium suspension with 885s. I will be putting it on my 2006 DCLB SR5. Reading through these forums I was convinced to go with the LR UCAs too (currently in the mail) with extended brake lines. OK, so those major purchases are done! HOWEVER, this is my first lift and I'm brand new to this forum and could use a little advice. Now I am caught in the decision of tires/wheels. I want after market rims and am looking at ProComp 7089s (or 7098s, I forget) matte black. I like the economy and no rubbing worries of 265/75/16s (Duratracs), saw some nice pics with 265s, but the 285s appear a bit more proportionate (OK, more badass I should say). My big question is...now that I bought the suspension, will I need to trim and get wheel spacers (and whatever else) if I opt for the 285s? I don't mind trimming some plastic but if I have to deal with rubbing on the coils or UCAs I may not want to deal with fixing that or installing spacers, etc.

Anyone out there happy with 265s on an OME lift? Are they small looking? Thanks for any feedback, as I'm sure this topic has been beaten to hell.:notsure:

2. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes you will have to trim and yes you'll need 1.5" wheel spacers with stock wheels to prevent rubbage on your A arms...

3. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Welcome! Also from CT, in my opinion 285s will look better. I actually have a full OME kit and LR UCAs sitting in the garage ready to be installed in the next week or two. I plan on going with 285s but i have aftermarket wheels. Ya you will need spacers with the stock wheels and 285s, i think 1.25" is enough for spacers, not positive though. You can also look at 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 if you are keeping the stock wheels, you will not need spacers with that size tire. The choices are very limited in that size, no duratracs.

Edit: if you get the pro comps for wheels, buy the ones with 4.5" backspacing and you will not need spacers, you will probably need to trim though, possibly cab moubt chop if you offroad. Normal street driving should just be some plastic trimming and remove the mudflaps from what i have read here

4. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
  5. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    jwj202

jwj202 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver TRD Offroad SR5
    I have 285/75/16 with bilsteins at 1.75" rest is all stock. i had to barely trim with no spacers. you will be fine without them. only time i rub is at full lock in reverse and it barely rubs you have to have music off to hear it and you dont feel it either.

6. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    You dont rub on the upper control arms? Do you have highway tires? Most A/Ts and M/T should rub on the upper control arms with stock wheels and no spacers

7. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    jwj202

jwj202 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver TRD Offroad SR5
    285/75/16 Km2's. Only rub the UCA's at full lock in reverse and its not a bad rub at all

8. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Nice, doesnt sound bad. I wonder if your camber numbers have something to do with that. I bet those 285s look nice stuffed in the wheel wells without sticking out as far as aftermarket wheels.

9. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    WiR3D

WiR3D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD DCSB
    Yes You will rub on your UCAs at full turn and will have less than .25in of space between the tire and UCA so there might be some rubbing while driving. I put 1.25 spidertrax on my truck about 2 weeks ago.

10. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Everyone (including me) is missing the fact that OP wants aftermarket wheels, not ganna run the stockers so with the right backspacing and offset he wont need spacers

11. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    Are the Pro Comps 17x8 or 17x9? You have to also make sure that the tires you select are approved for the wheel size. Definitely make sure the BS is at least 4.5" or less especially if you plan to run 285s in the future if not now.

A lot of time guys go with 265s only to realize that they should have gone with 285s in the first place.

12. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Bubba31

Bubba31 [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Blue 06 DCLB SR5
    Thank you for the response, great information. I am looking at aftermarket 16x8ProComp wheels, tire size will be a tough choice. If I could run 285s with those wheels without spacers and no rubbing on the UCAs or coils, it would be a huge plus in the direction of 285s. I like the link to the 265s, looks nice and closer to stock with more clearance, which is kinda all I need. But as SCS said, I don't want to regret not getting 285. Tough choice.

If 285s require a "cab mount chop", sounds like a little more work than I wanted and if that is something I would need to do. When this gets done I want it done right without major mods like that, no limitations when I'm installed, you know? Want a clear conscience as far as rubbing potential and performance.

Good luck with your install. Are you doing it yourself or a shop? Know of anyone in CT or nearby that does good work?

Thanks for all responses (and not bashing the newbie!) Can't wait to post pics and add to the DCLB gallery!

13. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Do you know the backspacing and offset numbers on the 16x8s you are looking at? You should definitley be able to run 285s without rubbing on the UCAs or coils with the right backspacing/offset. Rubbing on the inside of the wheel well is a different story though, seems like 285s almost always require trimming. The cab mount chop is kinda a hit or miss, some guys need to do it some guys dont. If you don't offroad (don't flex the suspension alot) and you have aftermarket UCAs which will keep your caster high, you can probably avoid the cab mount chop.

I plan on doing the install myself and with the help of some TW knowledge. The only shop i know of that specializes in lifting trucks is extreme vehicle builders in danbury, i contacted them looking for a ballpark number to do the install. They wanted me to bring the truck and parts in, it is an hour drive for me so i decided it wasnt worth it. Most decents shops should be able to handle this kind of lift.
    There are alot of things to consider when trying to decide between 265s and 285s, you will find out all you need to know here to base your decision on.

14. Mar 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    tdubb

tdubb New Member

Member:
    I am having same problem rubbing uca 3 in rough country lift 285 55 20. Rims einki 9.5 with 5.5 in backspacing was thinking of wheel spa ers but worried about rubbing body mount with 1.25 spacer anyone running something similar what can I do

Products Discussed in

To Top