1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

245 dunlops --> 265 Cooper AT3s

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by adrstout, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nov 30, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    adrstout

adrstout [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    Just put on some new shoes yesterday. Dropped the stock dunflops at 15K (wish I could have sooner). Terrible wet traction thought they never let me down off road though I can't say I pushed them too hard. All the trails I've driven have been dry for the most part. After quite a bit of internet research and shopping around my local shops, I decided my best value was the Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I picked up a set in 265/75R16. BTW, my truck is an 4cyl AC 4x4.

One day of driving on my new tires and here is what I have noticed:
    1.) Ride quality is WAY better
    2.) Road noise is up slightly but not bad at all. Doesn't affect how high I have the radio.
    3.) Acceleration response does seem slightly hindered. Steering weight seems to be slightly heavier though I like that.
    *Both the above things are obviously due to tire weight. I'm not sure the exact difference in weight, but I'm sure it is enough to make a difference
    4.) They look 100X better!:cool:

This is really all I have right now. Hopefully I can get them off pavement soon and provide some additional review. I will update this periodically for those interested in AT3s. Anyone with these tires that would like to let me know what you think I would appreciate it. I'm just a newb with them so I'm curious.

Here's a quick before and after iPhone shot. Will try to get better pics up.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    JRod4928

JRod4928 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau WeatherTech Floor Liners Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock Antenna X Black Mesh Grillcraft with Tacoma Badge (Upper) and Cross (Lower) 18" BMF Wheels / Cooper 31.5" Tires 2" Leveling Kit
    Good call! I did the exact same thing and can vouch for your comments. I did notice a slight MPG drop - let me know what you get. I lost 1-2 MPGs, but I also installed a lift and new wheels.

Keep those guys rotated though, I heard you can get scalloping and uneven wear on AT3's if you slack on rotating. (Back to front, and switch the fronts when moving them to the back).

3. Dec 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    JRod, thanks for the advice. I am religious about rotation so hopefully I am good. I have t made it through a tank to tell you any difference, but honestly my gas gauge is dropping more slowly compared to mileage even considering the coversion for tire size difference. We will see when I finish calcs. I will update after a tank and again after several.

Had the first rain today. Not nearly as hairy and with the dunlops. Puddles didn't pull the truck at all nor was there a hint of hydroplane.

4. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
  5. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Gus 524

Gus 524 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4WD 4-cylinder
    I also have those tires on my 4 banger and I love them!

6. Dec 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    First tank on these tires was right on average: 20.8 mpg.

I think my front drivers side tire may be slightly out of balance. Slight shake at 65 mph.

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    UPDATE: went back to the tires shop about the shake. One of the weights fell of the front. All is well.

Loving these tires after about 2,000 miles. MPGs have gone down but it is hard to put all the blame on the tires as I got them during the switch to winter blend gas.

Overall, they are getting a little louder on the highway but not anything too obnoxious. Rain traction is excellent, dry traction is excellent. In what little off roading I have done which is shooting down short trails off the road, they have been great but I don't have extended enough experience with them to really make any claims about the Off road performance.

Today we had about 10 inches of snow. They did great at 30 psi and even better at 22. Pulled 3 people out. Almost no wheel spin at 22 psi anywhere.

Our yard this morning. Roughly 10 inches.
    [​IMG]

Decided not to take her Focus today...
    [​IMG]

Ready to leave. Warming up.
    [​IMG]

The last of 3 rescues
    [​IMG]

8. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Gus 524

Gus 524 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4WD 4-cylinder
    nice dude

9. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    are you adjusting for ODO error? i do like the new look. these are going to be my next tire, also.

10. Dec 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    adrstout

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    I am adjusting for ODO error. However, I've dropped less than 1 mpg. It's not that significant.

Products Discussed in

To Top