1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

18" Chrome Clad Wheel Cover Removal

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jefftheskier, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Dec 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    Sorry if this has been covered already. The dealer service adviser stated that the 2012 Tacoma 18" chrome clad wheel covers are "glued" to the metal wheel. I saw a set, just the covers without the wheels, for sale on eBay, so there must be some way to remove them in one piece. I tried a hammer and a plastic wedge... no way. Any ideas?

Just searched the forum and found others with the same question... no definitive answer though. So I'll try the "heat them up and pry them off" method, unless someone offers up a better idea.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    wh013mi1k

wh013mi1k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPT V6
    I'm still interested in this answer if anyone ever figured it out!

3. Apr 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    Well... I got them off. I did NOT find a "magic wand" way to get it done. Underneath the wheel cover is a really nice alloy wheel that everyone can see if they look at the spare tire underneath their truck. Someone in marketing must have decided that the "chrome clad" look was special. I think it looks cheap and cheesy, but what do I know. Anyway, here's how I got them off.

There is a bead of laytex-type adhesive applied to each spoke of the alloy wheel (5 double spokes). The bead is run from the edge of the rim along one leg of the spoke towards the hub and continues in a solid line over to the adjacent spoke and back out to the edge of the rim. Again, this is applied to all 5 double spokes. Another bead of adhesive is run entirely around the perimeter of the rim. All of this creates a firm bond with the plastic "chrome clad" cover.

I tried heat, WD-4, Brake-Kleen... none of which helped break the bond. The answer for me was a 12" non-cerrated kitchen knife, fairly thin and flexible. I made my way around the rim between the wheel cover and the wheel. I then managed to insert a plastic wedge (Stihl chainsaw wood splitter wedge) to create a gap between the wheel cover and the wheel. I inserted the kitchen knife into each spoke, cutting away the adhesive.

There are some plastic trim removal tools out there that have a flat end. This would likely be better than the kitchen knife, once there is enough of a gap between the cover and wheel.

This is a pain in the butt to do on all four wheels, but it gets the covers off. You would have to be SUPER careful not to make any scratches on the wheels. You would also have to be that careful if you wanted to preserve the covers, free of any damage. I didn't care as I was having the wheels powder coated flat black by Wheels America. (These guys make them look like Toyota SHOULD have made them look!!)

There are stripping products (Ace Hardware, etc) that are formulated to dissolve rubber cement. They will also mess up the factory gray paint on the wheels. I used some to clean up the stubborn residue, but would not do so again as it didn't do that good of a job and the Wheels America process includes bead blasting.

If you're careful, you will have a really nice set of silver alloy rims after the plastic comes off. I recommend resisting the temptation to use a screw driver or pry bar to spread the cover away from the wheel. The wheel is aluminum and soft and will quickly get all gouged up from rough treatment.

Good luck.

4. May 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    I know this is old but do you have pictures now that you have powder coated your wheels? Many of us want to see!!

REDdawn6 and ChadsPride like this.
  5. May 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    Powdercoated @ Wheels America ~$150/ea. I'm a rookie Mac user, so I hope these attachments actually work. OKAY... I checked and it looks like I need some Mac help. I'll try not to take too long.

I did NOT paint either the front or rear hub. Also, the front calipers are stock and I think they look pretty good. I'm not worrying about any car show looks, just want black wheels. I think these coated OEM ones look as good as any of the "Made in China" stuff that's out there.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. May 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    I'm looking forward to the pics, can you upload them to the gallery here?

click on advanced reply....

then scroll down to "Attach files" and you can upload them there.

7. May 21, 2013 at 3:48 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    bump for pics. was always interested im seeing what they look like nder the chrome lol.

8. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    Okay... I went "advanced", so I hope some pics show up. A couple of you asked about the next set of chrome clad that I remove. Not sure when I'll get to it this summer, but I will make a post IF I can get them off w/o damage.

IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Interested in your covers when you get em off, or trade you my spare for one of your with a cover. Sent ya a pm a while back about that. Let me know.

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Jun 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    its that powdercoated already or is that the what it looks like underneath? anyways it goes, im gonna hunt me down a set; shit looks hot without the covers.

11. Jun 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    That's black powdercoat. They are originally silver... and look just fine, but I wanted to go black.

12. Jun 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Dookiebird

Dookiebird Member

Member:
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, 4x4, SB, Silver Sky Metallic
    Roof rails, bed cover, nerf bars, vent visors, plasti-dip chrome emblems
    What did you use for a center cap? I'm considering taking off the chrome, but can't figure out what to do about the center cap.

13. Jun 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Best way is to test out center caps on your spare. Though, I doubt that you could make any fir to them as they don't have anything to retain them. On another note, I am looking to trade my spare, with never used tire, for a chrome clad. Basically the same exact thing, except the spare is just the version with the chrome clad removed. It would be one less rim you have to remove the clad from.

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    jefftheskier

jefftheskier [OP] Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport Pkg +
    TRD S'charger
    I left out the center caps. The factory ones attach to the chrome clad cover. There is actually a decent hub cover on the front, black and smooth, and the rear ones are rough cast, but also black. I'm fine with that.

15. Jun 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    Dookiebird

Dookiebird Member

Member:
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, 4x4, SB, Silver Sky Metallic
    Roof rails, bed cover, nerf bars, vent visors, plasti-dip chrome emblems
    What did you use for center caps? I plan to remove the chrome clad from my wheels and cannot figure out what to do about the center caps.

16. Jun 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    GSKY2013

GSKY2013 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Apalachin, NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited
    I bought a 2013 Tacoma Limited package with the "chrome clad wheels". The dealer had to locate the truck, so I didn't see it prior to taking delivery. I was so juiced up to get the new truck, I didn't notice the wheels had "hubcaps". I contacted Toyota Cares, was referred back to my dealer for resolution. After a month of waiting, and a review by a Toyota factory rep, the feedback was "there is nothing wrong with the wheels, so no further action will be taken". My dealer contact told me this is a typical trim feature for Tacoma, Tundra and 4runner high end models. He did tell me they messed up chrome clad wheels on a Tundra when replacing the tires because nobody could figure out how to get the covers off. We agreed this bodes ill for the time I need new tires, and any damage would be addressed at the time. This seems really goofy on Toyota's part.
    I did see the post regarding the cladding removal...thanks.

17. Aug 24, 2015 at 11:04 AM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    It's actually kinda a nice feature I think because if you ever scratch them up I imagine the fascia would be far cheaper to replace then fix or replacing the rim. I've never looked up the price for the covers though.

18. Aug 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM
    Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black DCSB Limited PreRunner
    Completely false, these wheels do not have "covers" or "hubcaps", the chrome clad pieces are designed to be a permanent part of the wheel and not serviceable. There is no way the service dept at any dealership would've ever attempted to remove them. They simply went with a chrome clad cover as opposed to chroming the entire aluminum wheel. This reduces the pitting and rusting behind the wheel and also makes it a touch lighter. I purchased my Limited knowing this and wanting this style of wheel. I'm a fan. If something ever goes wrong I have no issue replacing the whole wheel, same as I would if the whole wheel had been chromed. To each his own though.

19. Aug 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM
    2014Sport

2014Sport A little good, a little bad, a little crazy

Member:
    They're not for everyone but I really like the chrome clad wheels too!

Lord Helmet likes this.
  20. Aug 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black DCSB Limited PreRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top