1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels & tires suggestions?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by engineer406, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Dec 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    engineer406

engineer406 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 SR5 double cab LB
    Audio system upgrade.
    Greetings,

So I have 2013 SR5 double cab long bed Tacoma that I want to do suspension, wheels, tires and maybe a lift on here in the near future. Any good recommendations or tips on brands and sizes to go with?

I really like KMC XD wheels, Toyo MT tires and Pro Comp...

2. Dec 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    5100s and AAL if on a budget, Old Man Emu lift if you got a couple extra bucks

anything but XD wheels, and some all terrain tires that are functional for the terrain you drive on

my .02

3. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    For lifts contact ToyTec or DownSouth Motor Sports. Both have been very helpful when building my lift. I went with the ULK from ToyTec for more flexibility of height if I change out rear springs later. I hate the rake.
    http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

For tire size I went with the 265/75/16 Goodyear DuraTrac. Largest tire without rubbing even with stock lift. Discount Tire recommended Hankook Dynapro ATM if I needed to save a few dollars. 285's look better, but require trimming and cut gas mileage. Plan to do this one day, but not ready to trim on new truck yet.

I went with TRD FJ SE rims. Simply a fan of the anthracite rims and they look great on BSP. Here is a safe bet to get them, although the dealer powdercoats them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fj+anthracite+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m1950

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    wheels/tires are up to you and what you think looks good.

5100s are nice mid-line shocks to go with that are adjustable to 2.5" in the front, they are what im running in the front with stock coils.

wheelers off road and icon both make 3-leaf progressive add-a-leaf packs, i have the wheelers packs and love them.

you can go with rear bilstein 5100 shocks as well, or wait and pick up something on this site used for a good price. you can run the stock rear shocks with an Add-A-leaf set up for a while and do no harm.

alot of people get different coils. you can get OME coils, either 884x, 885x, or 886x. 885x's are what you want since you have no heavy off road bumper but are a double cab thus heavier. you can opt for a top plate spacer to get a full 3" out of the OME coils with the 5100 struts set to the 0" setting.

you can go with Eibach coils, which provide 1.6" of lift when on the stock strut setting, most run them with the 5100's set to .85" with an AAL in the back.

vibes are common on our trucks post lift. that being said, pick up an OME CB drop and install it after you install you lift to eliminate some driveline vibe. the front diff drop sold by toytec doesnt do much but rotate your front differential, so id steer clear from that.

if none of that works, you can get a beefed taco CB drop, for 3" or lower of lift. thats what i have and have no vibes. :woot:

for wheels and tires, if you plan to run 285's (33") you need a wheel that is a 4.5" backspacing, most manufacturers list this in the specs of the wheel online if you buy aftermarket. if you want to stick with factory wheels, the TRD Sport 17s will not fit with 285's, the TRD off road 16s will not fit with 285's and the stock steel wheels with not fit with 285'. the 17" fj alloys will work with 285's, the 16" TRD FJ wheels will fit with 285's and the TRD simulated beadlocks will fit with 285's. also, all first gen tacoma and 3rd gen or older 4runner 16" + wheels will work with 285's, my wheels are off of a 3rd gen 4runner.

most go with rock sliders for cab protection off road, and door protection in parking lots. if i were you and planning to take the truck off road at all, i would invest in a set. BAMF makes good ones, famous fab makes them, trail gear, 4x innovations etc. search for sliders and youll find a wealth of threads, each with their respective fanboys raving about how good each one's sliders are. to me, cheaper and same specs is better :notsure:

5. Dec 2, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    engineer406

engineer406 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 SR5 double cab LB
    Audio system upgrade.
    I want to go with black wheels preferably...
    [​IMG]
    and because I have a couple dirtbikes and a streetbike, I don't want the bed too high up. On that note, is a lift even necessary? Or am I pretty limited on wheel and tire variatey just keeping stock suspension?

Thanks greatly!

6. Aug 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    GUNN1st

GUNN1st Active Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma
    I put a 3 inch lift on my 09 Tacoma. I live in the desert so I went with BFG All Terrain tires, 285 70 17. I had to do some fender trimming but its very easy, all you need is a box cutter. My wheels are made by Fuel, they have a cool selection of black wheels.

7. Aug 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    GUNN1st

GUNN1st Active Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top