Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Advice: Grabber AT2 265 or 285???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Advice: Grabber AT2 265 or 285???

So after a lot of reading on TW, I've decided on Grabber AT2's to replace my mud terrains. BFG KO's are just too much and this was next on my list.

I've posted before about gas mileage, traction, etc. That has lead me to my question, and here is comes....:

I currently run 285/75/16's. Clearance/space isn't an issue. it's a great look but I'm more interested in AT's for the 90% of driving I do. I am contemplating going to 265/75/16's with the new tires. I love the current look (part of why i bought this one), but I also like the idea of slightly better mileage, snow traction, performance. I drive maybe 500 miles/month so not much, but plan on taking long road trips come spring/summer for diving.

Any pros/cons of the 285 vs. 265 ( i realize this has been discussed a lot). One better would be a pic of your taco with these tires so I can kinda guage how they look at those sizes. thanks in advance!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
265/75

no trimming needed, save gas, looks good, costs less (generally), better road manners (generally)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285 BFG KO's, absolutely love them and the beefiness they add to the truck, never disappointed me off road or on road, avg mpg is about 16.5-17 so not horrible, the AT2 is a good competitor for the BFG for sure, either way as far as size goes you won't be disappointed, 285's look gangster but you do lose a little more fuel economy than with 265's
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
265/75

no trimming needed, save gas, looks good, costs less (generally), better road manners (generally)
That's where I am leaning. I was surprised that total price/tire was only a $7 difference between the 2 sizes. I was hoping for more to make the decision easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
I have 285 BFG KO's, absolutely love them and the beefiness they add to the truck, never disappointed me off road or on road, avg mpg is about 16.5-17 so not horrible, the AT2 is a good competitor for the BFG for sure, either way as far as size goes you won't be disappointed, 285's look gangster but you do lose a little more fuel economy than with 265's
I had BFG's on my Wrangler. They were terrific. In 1999 I paid $95 each for 31.50 BFG AT's. Now they are $225 each.. I love the look of the 285's and I justify it by not driving a ton, but I don't really wheel it so practicallity is taking over for what the truck is going to be used for.

thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
For mileage, go with 265. I have 285/75/16's. I love them! Give me a meaner looking stance plus nice ride height to go with the lift. I get 16-17 mpg with them but doesn't bother me. I don't do heavy off road wheeling but can count on my tires when I need them.

I like the Grabber 2's as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you're making a good pick with the grabbers, my buddy just put them on his 05 4runner, 265/70/17, and he loves them, no change in mileage either
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Cowboy View Post
For mileage, go with 265. I have 285/75/16's. I love them! Give me a meaner looking stance plus nice ride height to go with the lift. I get 16-17 mpg with them but doesn't bother me. I don't do heavy off road wheeling but can count on my tires when I need them.

I like the Grabber 2's as well.
My mileage sucks right now (about 14) so I'm hoping for any improvement with the switch. But again, I love the look of the 285 haha. You're truck looks great. I don't want mine to look odd with a lift and smaller rubber. Not to sound like a whiny bi#ch, just wish there was a way to see them both before choosing.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I have 265/70/17. Look at your fuelly and then look at mine.
haha, sold! Thanks bud.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
haha, sold! Thanks bud.
No problem. You won't think just a little increase in tire size wouldn't affect your mileage that much but when I had stock wheels and tires, my average was 20ish.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #11

Does anyone have General Grabber AT2's in either 285/75/16 or 265/75/16 that wouldn't mind posting a pic so i can see how they look? thanks in advance!