Notices

Winter Tires & Wheel Sensor

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Big Ring is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Big Ring's Tacoma Gallery
Winter Tires & Wheel Sensor

Just put my winter tires on my 2013 double cab SR5 - Blizzacks on OEM steel rims. Tires are the same size as the stock Dunlops.

Problem: the wheel/tire sensor on the console came on. Why is this happening? I recall reading somewhere once that the sensor would come on but I was assuming if you were using different sized wheels/tires. Air pressure is set correctly.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
Big Ring

P.s. My first post since getting my baby! Will post up some photos and what I've done already. Have a metric shit tonne of questions on stuff I'd like to do - my first truck and I don't know shite! Cheers!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

There is a TPMS reset button below the steering wheel. Press and hold that and it should turn the dash light off (assuming the sensors are still in the wheels that you are currently running).

Before you ask your metric shit ton of questions, try reading your Owner's Manual
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3

Law Enforcement:
Bahahahaa! Thanks Pugga! I was wondering when I'd get flammed . . .

Yep, knew about the reset switch, but I was more interested in WHY it was doing it considering the tires are the same size as stock. Any insight?

I've been lurking this boards for enough time now to do a search before asking a question . . . man, you Tacoma owners hammer the NOOBS for asking questions! LOL - all good fun.

Thanks for reading & Cheers!
BR
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ring View Post
Bahahahaa! Thanks Pugga! I was wondering when I'd get flammed . . .

Yep, knew about the reset switch, but I was more interested in WHY it was doing it considering the tires are the same size as stock. Any insight?

I've been lurking this boards for enough time now to do a search before asking a question . . . man, you Tacoma owners hammer the NOOBS for asking questions! LOL - all good fun.

Thanks for reading & Cheers!
BR
It happened because the pressure essentially dropped to 0 when they took the old tires off. That triggers the ECU to throw on the dummy light. Then, even if everything is set back to normal, it doesn't automatically reset itself.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

Law Enforcement:
Crystal clear - cheers!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
DEX is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: DEREK
DEX's Tacoma Gallery
ACTUALLY MY MANNY PRETTY MUCH ASSUMES I'M A SOCCER-SALLY AND SAYS IT DOES RESET AUTO. IF NOT TAKE IT TO $DEALER$ SO I RESET IT MANUALLY FROM UNDER THE DASH. BUT IM WONDERING (BECAUSE IT CAME BACK ON) IF THERE IS A CODE ASSOCIATED WITH IT, THAT ELABORATES ON THE MALFU%$TION LIKE A ~KOER~ OR SOMETHING
TIPS?
ADVICE?
OR CRAP TO SLING @ THE NEW GUY?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEX View Post
ACTUALLY MY MANNY PRETTY MUCH ASSUMES I'M A SOCCER-SALLY AND SAYS IT DOES RESET AUTO. IF NOT TAKE IT TO $DEALER$ SO I RESET IT MANUALLY FROM UNDER THE DASH. BUT IM WONDERING (BECAUSE IT CAME BACK ON) IF THERE IS A CODE ASSOCIATED WITH IT, THAT ELABORATES ON THE MALFU%$TION LIKE A ~KOER~ OR SOMETHING
TIPS?
ADVICE?
OR CRAP TO SLING @ THE NEW GUY?
If all the tires are properly inflated, and you've reset the system correctly and the light continues to stay on, you might have another issue such as a bad sensor. Depending on what year your Tacoma is, you might have a sensor in the spare tire which you should check also. I believe 2005 through 2008 or 2009 have sensors in the spare. I'm not sure how the ECU operates as far as throwing codes if the TPMS system is not functioning properly. As far as I know, the only thing you see is the light on the dash if there is a problem. I believe it will blink if there is an issue with a sensor vs. just a low reading but I'm not 100% sure on that.