Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG KM2's or Cooper dicoverer STT's?

View Poll Results: BFG KM2's or Cooper disoverer STT's?
KM2's 67 68.37%
STT's 31 31.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
552Jrider will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeremy
552Jrider's Tacoma Gallery
BFG KM2's or Cooper dicoverer STT's?

BFG KM2's or cooper discoverer stt's? i have the km2's love them. ive never used the stt's. What do you guys think?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
520Toyota is on a distinguished road
Name: C.V.
520Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Cooper stt on both my 2000 and 2012 tacomas. Can't say anything bad about them. The tires are quiet and their siped.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
my sister had the coopers on her ram 1500, horribly loud actually... im shocked to hear that ^^^^
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
520Toyota is on a distinguished road
Name: C.V.
520Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Some people complain about every little road or tire noise. In my opinion, the Cooper stt are quiet.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running KM2's and would buy them again.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dylan
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
Km2's don't last.... I've had mine for 6 months and they're less than 50% . I offroad 2-3 a month. I bought for looks and it was a huge mistake. They are a great offroad tire though if you don't mind going through them like nothing
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
i have had 2 sets of Cooper STT and 2 sets of KM2 in the last 5 years...

both handled great and gave me about 40,000 miles per set and still managed to have enough meat on them for me to sell them...

i rotate every 5,000 miles so they did a great job on lasting me, even with all the heavy and fast type wheeling i do...

as for road noise, the STT consistently got loud at about 25,000 miles, and the KM2 got loud at about 35,000 miles...

the STT noise seemed to be louder to me than the KM2 noise...

i think the STT costs less, so if money is an issue, i vote you go with the STT and just see for yourself if the noise is something you can deal with... i typically listen to news radio in my truck when driving, so i pretty much hear every noise my truck makes...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
my jeep neighbor tells me they do great on the rocks and mud, and similar in weight to the MT/R(my other personal choice) coming from a general grabber weighing 30+/- more lbs . his had slight chunking with a tad less than half tread but i may consider the cooper when the time comes.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've never run the Coopers but I would after running 2 sets of km2 and being unhappy with them both times
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
What about he KM2's were you unhappy with?

I had a set 255/80/17's my Rubicon and loved them. In fact before I traded my Rubi in on my Tacoma I took my KM2's mounted on AEV Pintlers off and put the stock wheels/tires back on.

I'm most likely going to put a set of 255/85/16's or my 255/80/17's KM2's off my Rubi on my new Taco soon as I decide on a set of wheels.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
I had 285 STTs on my Tacoma at one point. I sold them because I didn't need a MT and the noise was a little loud for me. But IMO I think they look a lot better than the BFGs. It's a pretty good looking tread. They were great on slippery boat ramps and mud.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
What about he KM2's were you unhappy with?

I had a set 255/80/17's my Rubicon and loved them. In fact before I traded my Rubi in on my Tacoma I took my KM2's mounted on AEV Pintlers off and put the stock wheels/tires back on.

I'm most likely going to put a set of 255/85/16's or my 255/80/17's KM2's off my Rubi on my new Taco soon as I decide on a set of wheels.
Everything outside tread life, and rock/hardpack performance.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever use them aired down?

When I first put my KM2's on my Rubicon I wasn't overly impressed. They were "ok" but not great. Then another Jeep guy told me to air them down to 20lbs and give em a try. Some air them down further than that but 20 worked for me. Made a whole different tire out of them but not everyone is interested in doing that.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
Did you ever use them aired down?

When I first put my KM2's on my Rubicon I wasn't overly impressed. They were "ok" but not great. Then another Jeep guy told me to air them down to 20lbs and give em a try. Some air them down further than that but 20 worked for me. Made a whole different tire out of them but not everyone is interested in doing that.
Oh yeah I air down.
I've gone down to 8psi several times in the deep snow and I air down to at least 15 each time I go offroad on trail/rocks. I run 32 on the street, my tires are 35x12.50's
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D SPAID View Post
Km2's don't last.... I've had mine for 6 months and they're less than 50% . I offroad 2-3 a month. I bought for looks and it was a huge mistake. They are a great offroad tire though if you don't mind going through them like nothing
I disagree. I think a lot might have to do with the terrain you wheel on and how you drive. I just replaced my KM2s this morning and they have 40K miles on them with 50% tread left. (I'll be selling them, well 3 of them). I have lots of road miles and lots of wheeling on them. Very impressed with how durable the KM2s are. Pretty sure I could have easily got 70K miles on them.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D SPAID View Post
You're saying your KM2's are going to be like a 10K wear?

Matt
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
all that being said, I've heard good things about the STT's. But if it were me and those were my two choices I'd go with the KM2's. For me they worked really well. Great in the rocks, great durability, acceptable noise for an MT tire, good (not great) on higher speed dirt roads, pretty good in the snow, aweful on hardpack snow/ice unless you sipe them. I had mine siped and they were very acceptable in snow/ice after that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
Travith is on a distinguished road
Travith's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the cooper st maxx
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Also, for anyone who is a Costco member take a look at the BFG tire prices at Costco. They are almost always within a couple dollars of tire rack and Costco has FREE road hazard on all the tires they sell and mount. Two winters ago I ran over a piece of rebar that was in the road. Was dark and I flat didn't see it. Went back to Costco, told them what happened and they replaced the tire free of charge. I used to try and find the cheapest place and buy from them but after that I almost always buy my tires at Costco now.